Chinese-Forums

Exercise during learning boosts recall

character

http://www.missiontolearn.com/2014/01/exercise-learning/

Mild to Moderate Exercise During Learning Boosts Recall

German researchers split a pool of 81 healthy young women into three groups. One group completed a language learning activity while sedentary; the second completed the same activity after getting some moderate exercise from stationary bike riding; and the third completed the activity while engaged in the same type of bike exercise as the second group.

Each group was then tested for recall of the words presented during the learning activity. While there was little difference in recall between group one (sedentary learners) and group two (those who did the activity after biking), the third group (those who biked while learning) had significantly better recall than either of the other two. The researchers reported in PLOS ONE that their data “indicates that light to moderate simultaneous physical activity during encoding, but not prior to encoding, is beneficial for subsequent recall of new items.”

Source: Physical Exercise During Encoding Improves Vocabulary Learning in Young Female Adults: A Neuroendocrinological Study, May 20, 2013.

• Like 1

There is also a school of thought that learning and recall are state dependent. So if you learn something while exercising you have better recall of it while exercising. Or indeed what ever state you where in when you learnt it.

Exercising changes your state so maybe the tests need to be done taking this into account. it would be interesting to see the results.

There is also a school of thought that learning and recall are state dependent. So if you learn something while exercising you have better recall of it while exercising. Or indeed what ever state you where in when you learnt it.

I think this is more than a school of thought, though, it's been shown to be generally true for all kinds of recall tasks. It can of course be debated how big the effect is for realistic language learning and how much we should pay attention to it. I know I read some article way back that claimed that this was one of the major advantages with using flashcards in general (provided that you bring them with you rather than study at home, of course).

I personally find that exercise helps a lot of things, although such a statement perhaps isn't worth much for others. I've spent many, many hours improving my Chinese listening ability while jogging or speaking Chinese while practising other sports. However, I think the general effects of exercise on cognition has been research thoroughly and that the results in general show a positive correlation. I'm by no means an expert in this field, though, so people who are could perhaps provide more insights.

Exercise specifically during the learning should really only help if you're stressed or anxious about it. Otherwise, it shouldn't much matter whether you exercise before, after or during.

But, given the current research, it's important to get at least 20 minutes of exercise 2-3 times a week for optimal brain health. The peak effect seems to be at about 40 minutes of exercise, with 20 minutes being the most bang for the buck.

For those interested, exercise removes toxins from the brain, provides nutrients and blood flow as well as stimulates the growth hormones necessary to support the growth of new brain cells.