Chinese-Forums

Mandarin radio stations

hedwards

你好,

Does anybody have a recommended online radio station? I've been listening through tunein.com and audials.com, but I'm having a hard time finding a station that's reliably there.

I'm working on building up a virtual immersion environment.

谢谢

Try downloading the 优听radio app for either iOS or Android. Lots of Chinese podcasts and radio stations available in the app.

http://m.appszoom.com/android_applications/media_and_video/_ykfl.html

优听电台可以收听国内超过1000个在线频道,中央人民广播电台、中国国际广播电台、所有地方台都可随时收听,可收听多个国家的频道节目,美国之音、NHK、BBC等,电台内容在持续收录中,每天都有新发现;

支持录音功能,可以将自己喜欢的内容录制下来,随时回放;

支持定时播放,可作为收音机闹铃使用;

支持定时停止,防止忘记关闭造成的流量浪费;

支持界面定制和内容收藏,适应每个人的使用习惯。

• Like 2

When commuting, I usually listen to Daai Radio (Chinese Talk), it's a Taiwanese radio station. I use the TuneIn app for listening.

The thing I really like about the app is that I can turn it on at home/school/work, press pause button and let it load for an hour. Then when I leave for my commute, I don't have to use the expensive mobile data.

For listening on the computer, you can use VLC or probably any other media player. You can find a list of links for Taiwanese radio streams here. Just copy one of the MMS links and paste it into VLC. Works great.

Thanks guys, the main issue I tend to have with Tunein is just that it can be a bit flaky, some days it's great and other days I have to spend quite a bit of time looking to find a station that's not playing annoying music and that loads.

That's good. I've been using 优听 for about six months now. In addition to its wealth of content, I find its streaming to be much smoother than most other radio/podcast apps for when used in mainland China.

Among the shows and stations I like on it are:

- 开卷八分钟 under the 财经时评 category (a short program about books)

- 从唐诗到元曲 under 文化杂谈

- 小凤直播室 under 文化杂谈 (a cultural interview program, kind of like Terry Gross of NPR)

- the Taiwan radio stations of IC之音, 中广新闻网, and News98

- you might also want to try the 相声 of 郭德纲 or 侯宝林 under 相声小品

- or listening to different traditional Chinese opera styles under 评书戏曲

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw Gato's list, my attention was drawn by  this:

- 开卷八分钟 under the 财经时评 category (a short program about books)

As I was interested, I poked around a bit and I discovered that this is another TV show made by 凤凰网, just like the popular 锵锵三人行。

So I thought, hey, maybe they have a transcript for that too. And guess what?

Bingo, here's the list. And here's an example for 马尔克斯《百年孤独》

I thought others may be interested...

I like the program quite a lot. The only drawback is that 梁文道 the host has a whiny voice. He's a Hong Konger who went to college in Taiwan, so that may be a factor. But it may be that he's just naturally a bit whiny :). No big harm, just that it might get on one's nerve sometime.

• 6 years later...

All the radio threads seem quite old.

Today I downloaded tunein (as per recommended) but you have to pay for it.

So I downloaded Radio China which offers lots of channels. (edit, actually this isn't very good! any other recommendations??)

I wondered if anyone else used it, and if so and recommendations for channels that are mainly talking (like a talk radio type thing)! Most I'm finding are either music or news

43 minutes ago, TaxiAsh said:

All the radio threads seem quite old.

Did you try searching for "podcast" instead?

Ximalaya is full of them (app or website) although there's so much it's hard to know where to begin sometimes.

This thread might be useful: History podcasts and audio books at Ximalaya Fm (喜马拉雅FM) although there will surely be more recent mentions of specific content on Ximalaya.

• Like 1

@TaxiAsh Other than getting a general feel for how people actually speak Chinese outside of the CFL bubble, most beginners probably wouldn't derive any benefit from listening to native-level stuff. Are you driving around all day? I recommend renting Pimsleur Mandarin from your local library and then working your way through the Chinesepod elementary level material.

• Like 2