Chinese-Forums

Hukou Apartheid

abcdefg

Part of a recent series in The Economist talks about China's growing migrant population in the more prosperous coastal mega-cities. The authors discuss the increasing unrest in this huge group of disadvantaged urban citizens who still hold rural hukous.

This is an excellent series of nine overview articles on current China, its economy and politics, available without fees or registration. It was sent to me by a friend who knows that I'm living here. Thought you might like a look.

http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21600798-chinas-reforms-work-its-citizens-have-be-made-more-equal-ending-apartheid

post-20301-0-25972700-1398136089_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

With not being aware of the rural 户口's right to land, the reluctance of many of the migrants to exchange their 户口 for city 户口 was not expected. But I can understand their quandry.

And it is quite sad that, the mindset of "you are different from me" expresses itself in so many places throughout the world (the west being a prime example).

Thanks for posting this article/series.

With not being aware of the rural 户口's right to land, the reluctance of many of the migrants to exchange their 户口 for city 户口 was not expected.

I was surprised by that too.

• 2 weeks later...

TBH, that article runs somewhat contrary to what I saw and heard about when I was in China. The government still owns all of the land and when people "buy" and apartment or house it's usually more of a lease like is common in the US for skyscrapers.

It doesn't surprise me at all that they're seen as foreigners, outside of the urban core China is very different from what it's like in the cities. Chinese I meet in the US get on my case for telling them about their culture, but it's not really their culture, they're usually Han or at least from large cities and the reality for non-Han living in poorer areas is very different. In fact, it's hard for me to think of anything that I can say about the Chinese that really applies to the areas I was living in beyond the very superficial observations about traffic.

I did a lot of travelling when I was there, but I was mostly spending my time in Gansu province, Hunan province and then later in Guangdong. Apart from my stay in Dongguan, I didn't really spend any time in the larger cities. You get a very different feel for the country when you're in the smaller areas.

In the past the farmers would have to pay for the use of their land, but I don't believe that the government collects those taxes any more in an effort to keep folks from migrating to the larger cities. I spent a couple days in a Miao village that the government had set up as a tourist resort as an experiment to see about making it more profitable for locals to say. I have to say, that in just about every way it was the most pleasant part of China I went to. Up until that point, I didn't even believe it was possible to find quiet in China.

I find it interesting that Beijing just about [exaggeration alert!] shuts down now every Spring Festival, because all the labor goes back to their hometown in the countryside.  It is difficult to buy food, or keep your nanny, or even get some basic services.

Up until that point, I didn't even believe it was possible to find quiet in China.

I have visited remote places which were small and quiet like you are talking about, but have never tried living in one. Even though the idea of a simpler, more rural life always appeals to me at first glance, not sure if I really could manage over the course of months or years, especially without a ready-made network of friends. 

• Like 1