Chinese-Forums

Opportunity to Earn Money Using Chinese for US Residents

Nathan Mao

• 4 weeks later...

I have completed the first few steps.

If you apply, they will contact you and ask you a few questions:

1) Are you a US citizen?

2) Are you willing to travel in the US or abroad?

I don't know if being unwilling to travel overseas is a deal-killer or not.

However, if you are a citizen and are willing to travel, you then move to the next phase, where you provide a self-assessment of your abilities in the non-English language(s) you know and in English.  

They will evaluate your self-assessment.

At this point, it sounds like they do no testing of your ability, they just take your word for it, and if your self-assessment pegs your abilities as sufficient, you are entered into the database.

Then when an opportunity (need for someone to translate/interpret) comes up, you (and many others with sufficient abilities) are contacted with the details.  The resumes of those who respond as willing & able are reviewed, and the required number are chosen.

However, sometimes the agency/organization that needs the linguist will have a requirement for you to take the DLPT or an Oral Proficiency Interview...that's one way to get a DoD certification of your abilities (for free!).

If your abilities are determined to be good enough,then they pay all your travel expenses plus a stipend of about $25/hour (for the actual language performance time, not travel or non-duty time).

I haven't heard anything more about the possibility of getting a security clearance, but the language certification itself should be helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

So I am an approved member now!

I had to sign a commitment letter, and fill out a self-assessment form.  One quick phone interview, and that's it.  You're in!

I haven't been contacted to work yet.  We'll see when/if that happens.

• Like 1