Chinese-Forums

Romance of the Three Kingdoms podcast

lingshu8

Thanks for posting this. Would like to see if there will be transcripts as well. His wording is awesome already right from the start. The famous opening scene of the three friends pledging allegiance to each other in the garden, he calls it Bromance of the Three Warriors. 

Hi John, I'm a native speaker and I really admire your work in introducing  this Chinese classical novel to Chinese learners. 加油!P.S. Your Chinese pronunciation is perfect, is Chinese your mother tongue? 

Good to see you posting John, and best of luck with the project. 

There used to be an excellent comic take on the Three Kingdom's drawn by a guy who used to post on here as Peng. I spent some time going through the archives on here to try and find it, but all the links were dead. Kind of a shame, as it was great and it'd be a shame if it was lost. Then I slapped myself on the forehead, Googled 'Three Kingdoms webcomic', and there it was...

Cao Cao with a sniper rifle is still my favourite bit. 

• Like 2

Thanks Roddy! And that comic is awesome!

Sinolingua, yes, Chinese is indeed my native tongue. Well, technically Cantonese, but like any kid who came up in the Chinese education system, I learned mandarin in school. 

Speaking of 评书, my earliest exposure to ROTK was probably listening to it on the radio. If you speak Cantonese, here's a great stash of 评书, including ROTK, from one of the masters of the craft: http://www.pingshu8.com/special/msp_220.htm.

• Like 2

Googled 'Three Kingdoms webcomic', and there it was...

Uh, took a look, it's ghastly...

Back in the 1980s and 1990s I used to buy the 連畫 in color (like the photo of my copy of 西遊記 here)

http://miparentscouncil.org/2013/05/12/developing-literacy-in-chinese-part-1/

I don't know if they make anything like that for 三國。 

Here's a link to a Mandarin pingshu of ROTK

I tried to listen to it a few months ago (not knowing the ROTK story) and couldn't follow anything. But after listening to the English podcast, the Mandarin version is easier to follow.

You'd think they would include a little pingshu in advanced proficiency tests, but then perhaps there's a good reason I'm not in charge of the HSK...

• Like 1

I love 袁闊成's Three Kingdoms 評書.  He's a master storyteller. My Mandarin got a big boost by listening to his pingshu alongside a transcript. 

You can download the complete transcript here.  The pingshu is here (same link Lanchong posted above).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks for the great podcast. I'm planning on reading the Chinese version soon, so it's nice to get to listen to this English version first. Storytelling is a lost art form, but I think you do it really well. Looking forward to episode 6.

(I'm having some trouble listening to ep 5 though. It's just downloading really slowly, but maybe it's just the crappy Chinese internet connection, rather than a problem with the site itself)

• 7 months later...