Chinese-Forums

Traveling to South Korea: Cheapest option?

prateeksha

Hello! I am supposed to be in Nanjing to attend a summer school in end June-start July this year and after that I wish to travel to South Korea. While I was studying in Beijing, I had heard quite some stories about "cheap" flights between Chinese cities and Seoul. Now is the time for me to find one. 

I am posting this question in Qingdao sub-forum since I heard that flights to Seoul are cheapest from this point. Has anyone had experience of buying flight tickets from Qingdao/Nanjing/Hangzhou to Seoul/Busan? I will be on a shoestring budget but plenty of time, so penny-pinching is an absolute must, at the cost of comfort. On some Korea travel blogs I saw suggestions on taking Jeju Air or Air Busan.

Could someone please help me out with their experiences and knowledge?

Not sure or Qingdao is the way to go. The transfer is going to cost you too. My strategy usually is searching a couple of main ticket search engines for the main carriers. If a lowcost carrier may be an option a google search usually bring them up quite easily. I think there are also a few ferries that may be of interest.

A quick search: Kayak,com returns Shanghai-Seoul tickets for 162 euro's with China southern. At http://www.weidong.com/ they offer ferrytickets from Qingdao to Incheon for 750 CNY. My first impression is that low cost carriers seem a limited interest, but if you're willing to transfer there may be some useful options.

Silent, Tianjin42 - Thank you for your answers. The idea behind finding a travel option from Qingdao is that it is close to Nanjing. Traveling to Tianjin to catch a ferry would eliminate whatever price advantage I am seeking here. 

Silent: The round trip cost by ferry comes out to be CNY 1500. Do you think this is the cheapest option possible? 

Thank you again.

I don't know or it's the cheapest option. I know the Qingdao ferry from previous research, however never used it. I think there should be a ferry from Shanghai too, but I don't see it now though a better search might. I found also a ferry from Lianyungang (www.lygferry.com) but as my korean is not very good I couldn't find a price. You might contact there office at +86-518-8233-8189.

To find the best prices you need a bit of creativity and spend some time with google, also travel forums like lonelyplanets thorntree may provide some pointers. A search in local languages (Chinese and Korean in this case) often yields results not found when searching in English

• Like 1

My girlfriend lives in S.Korea, so i've frequently travelled between Qingdao and Seoul.  Most of my Korean friends book through Jeju, but i never saw this option when booking through ctrip or elong, but generally the prices are around 1100-1300rmb return.  Qingdao also has a lot of Korean agents, which are normally a few hundred kuai cheaper, but i had to get my girlfriend to arrange all of that.  I'd say Jeju is your best bet.

• Like 1

Silent: Thank you very much for the ferry option. I had seen this already. I can definitely keep this open as an option.

thrice12: Yes I saw Jeju air too! It was pretty cheap, coming out to 1000 yuan. It is the perfect option as I can see, the only problem being I cannot book a flight originating in Qingdao. The flight origins are only HK, Japan, and ROK. Is this the case? Did your girlfriend book flight originating in Qingdao? Your help is sincerely appreciated.

Just a thought... Would flying to Jeju be false economy? Do you plan to go to Seoul/Busan afterwards? Wouldn't it cost more to get from Jeju to the other cities on the peninsula?

Oops, sorry.  I guess you mean taking Jejuair instead of flying to Jeju.