Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2014

haoyu

@Xiaowei M you are welcome, 

I panning to apply for same medium of instruction that is English and for the same degree program at different universities, and it is good for you that you have HSK too, i think your chances are more may be. 

Hello, everyone! 

I have read most of the threads and saw all of you guys have gotten what you wished for. Congratulation to all of you! I have few questions. I thought you guys may know.

I am currently in Beijing studying Chinese for a semester (until the 8th of January, 2015) under the Confucius Institute Scholarship. And I am planning to apply for CSC scholarships for master's program. 

I study in US, and I will be graduating soon. But I am not an American citizen. So I am an international student in US. 

1) Can I apply CSC scholarship in US via Chinese embassy (D.C or Chicago, I am in Minnesota)? or Do you think I have to do it in my home country?

2) Since I am applying for master's degree, can I bypass the Embassy thing and I apply directly to the U I want to attend? I kind of know the answer is yes but what are the chances of getting the scholarship without the embassy's endorsement, approval?

Many Many Thanks

Then, what would be happen if the university you apply rejects you in the case of applying directly to the U? 

What I mean is this when your application is rejected, you are normally directed to another university by the CSC. 

I wonder if the rejected applicants are also suggested/sent to another university by CSC when they directly apply to U. I maybe confused about the whole process.

You are allowed to choose 3 universities that offer the program you apply for. If the first university in your list doesn`t choose you, the others may choose you. CSC is allowed to enroll you in the university beyond your list that offers the same program. 

Thanks a lot, Xiaowei

one more question, when you apply directly to the U, you have to meet their requirements. I am concerned about their HSK requirements. Mostly, they want us to have at least HSK 4 or 5. 

when we apply directly to universities, can we still choose to take some Mandarin classes prior to taking major courses? I know you can do that when applying through embassy, right?

@ Voyager 2014

Yes, you can choose to take elementary Chinese studies prior to your major studies when you apply directly to universities. The application form (APPLICATION FORM FOR CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP) is the same for both for applying for Chinese Government Scholarship Bilateral Program and for applying for Chinese Government Scholarship Chinese University Program.

In case anyone was interested, I found out today Confucius scholarship recipients get paid less than chinese government scholarship.

csc gives 1700 for language scholars, I think Confucius gives something like 1300. on the other hand there are benefits to Confucius scholars get that we don't. I was told they got a week vacation to go to traveling (for free). Also for the school trips arranged at my school, csc scholars only pay 1/2 price, but Confucius scholars only have to pay 1/4th.

Confucius Institute Scholarship includes monthly allowance of RMB 1400.

I was awarded Confucius Institute Scholarship in 2012. :) If you have any question regarding this scholarship, I would be glad to help you.

Yes, it is true, Confucius Institute Scholarship includes free trips organized by the school. Students are just required to pay deposit of RMB 100 or 200. After the travelling students get back the deposit.

Learning Chinese language in China as Confucius Institute Scholarship student was wonderful experience.:)

Hello everyone and thank you for this thread which is really helpful.

I still have a question though, here is my situation:

I will start studying in China (language studies) in March 2015 for one semester, then go back home for the summer holidays et then goiback in China for two semesters starting September 2015.

I will ask for a CSC scolarships for my second stay (September 2015), but I am wondering if there are also any options for the semester that starts in March 2015? Is it too late to ask for anything?

Thank you!

Xiaowei M: thank you. I found the university/program I want, but they only list the September 2015 semester, so I think it is too late for the March 2015 semester.

I will pay by myself for the March semester and apply for a scolarship for the September one.

• 3 weeks later...