Chinese-Forums

Help with song lyric needed (Little Apple 小苹果)

danqi

I am trying to get back into Chinese. Besides learning vocabulary, I also want to memorize a song or two, so that I pound some grammar, phrases, etc. into my brain. Some may say a song is technically not the best for grammar, but it will be fun for me and easy to memorize.

I came across Little Apple 小苹果 by the Chopstick Brothers 筷子兄弟. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHFD1sEqpE)

It is somewhat terrible, yet also incredibly catchy. So that's what I am going with. I started by looking at the chorus, but I am already confused.

How would you translate 怎么爱你都不嫌多?

This site translates it as "I can't love you more", which makes sense in the context I guess. But I don't understand the construct of 都不嫌多. Could you explain it to me? Doesn't 嫌 mean "dislike"?

Thanks! I am sure this won't be my last question regarding this song..

• Like 1

My english is poor but it looks like a fair translation to me.

the literal meaning of 怎么爱你都不嫌多 is something like: no matter how much I'll love you it will never be too much 

嫌 it's a nice word! one of the most common usage I know is 嫌贵了 that means thinking something is too expensive (like: a) why didn't you buy it? b) I thought it was too expensive...).

嫌 alone (maybe dislike can be espressed by 2-chars word 嫌弃) introduces the reason you dislike something (in this case: thinking it would be too much)

Hope my contribution makes sense, ah! I discovered this song yesterday and I love it because it's very silly (in my eyes it explains what chinese mean when they say: 二)

it also became viral after the video with Kim Jong-Un... 

Thanks for introducing me to this song. I have heard it is very popular in China at the moment.

Here's a version that is in English with English subtitles, which might be helpful for translation.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzI2MjUwMTA4.html

I try to learn the english first as a way to remember songs.

I'm unsure if the second verse is translated correctly " Pick off the moon for you" is that correct?

I think I might try and karaoke this and throw in a few dance moves! :lol:

The middleschool students will love it!