Chinese-Forums

Microsoft Pinyin, typing with tone marks

Johnny20270

Hello all, I can't seem to find the answer to this ...

When  I use MS Word and Windows 8 I select the language input as MS Pinyin, so if I start typing "wo xihuan ...." I get a popup context box with all the Hanzi suggestions. 

Now the hanzi suggestions are irrespective of tones so all possible tones are shown, e.g. for wo  我  窝   幄 etc

Is there any way to limit this so that if I typed wo3 xi3huan I get the relevant hanzi for that particular tone?

I think it would be useful to drill in the tones

Thanks all

Have you actually tried that? It might seem a silly question but if you have tried it and it doesn't work you may need to use a third party input method.

I am not familiar with windows 8 so i can't speak from experience.

hi Shelly. Yes, tried already. thanks for the suggestion anyway

I think a 3rd party route may be the way to go. My friend says sogou is pretty decent.

However I do find though that if you type the full sentence with MS pinyin it gets it right most times. 

I have heard that it is good too,

I use the MS input that comes with XP and it allows the use of 1234 to indicate tone and narrows down the choice. Sometimes new op systems seem to take a step backward :wall

Hi shelley, 

yes I have looked at all the options, nothing I can see that allows you to select tone. I'll test some 3rd party programs, see if they help. i don't think the Microsoft one is great as it doesn't seem to be too intelligent. Several times it selected a default character 马 instead of 吗 I would have thought it would be smart enough to work out if I was typing a sentence instead of a character for a horse 

Well it sounds like third party is going to be your solution, if you try a few why not do a little review about them here and then you can share your results with the rest of us :)

Thanks for keeping us updated.