Chinese-Forums

How easy is to find Big size clothing and shoes in Harbin?

sujeto

Hi folks, I'm a big guy, 1.90 mts and weigth 120 Kgs. My size shoes is 13US and use to feel confortable on 2XL T-Shirts and 42 size in pants, underwear is 2XL (at least for the southamerican market). I was wondering, how easy or hard it's to find clothing and shoes for me in Harbin? Price isn't a problem.

ruth@chinaelevatorstories

Not sure about Harbin, but you can always try Taobao (if you don't speak Chinese, you can ask a Chinese friend to help you). They have a lot of clothes in bigger sizes, you can add 加大 or 加肥 to your search. My husband is almost 1.90 and if he buys clothes in a shop, he'll usually go to European or American shops (like for example H&M). We're in Shenzhen though.

I'm 1.83 and used to be well over 100 kgs. I lived in Harbin for eight years, and it was always a chore (back when I was that big) to find good clothing

I usually shopped in 红博 near the snow flake/train station. There's an underground market there at the round about with many different vendors. That's likely going to be your best bet.

You can find tailors at 服装城 off the red metro line. You'll want to get off at the 黑龙江大学 stop. Clothing city is right across from the university.

The tailors in there are really hit or miss, so be prepared. Also, what's on display is not always indicative of the quality of clothing made by the person running the shop. In many cases, the person who made the displays has long since left.

If you choose to go this route, I'd recommend making a small order to ensure you're happy with the quality. Once your first order has been completed, you can then place a second, bigger order.

• Like 1

I have a friend here who is a big guy, about the same weight as you but about 10cm or more shorter. He gets his family back home to buy clothes and send them to him. He's tried buying clothes here supposedly for big guys but they look like some weird attempt at a tight muscle shirt on him, and he hasn't got much muscle to show off lol

For a bit of perspective I'm about 1.85 and just a bit under 70kg and I wear XL and XXL chinese sizes haha

Clothing City is cheap as hell to get stuff tailor made as everyone else has said

• 2 weeks later...

It's dissapointing to read that clothing would be also a problem for me. I'm myself an XL in t-shirt,not an asian XL but an american XL. Here in Venezuela It's the same story, but caused for the "lack" of merchandise. I was at a mall yesterday, but I could only find Slim guy's clothing at Adidas, Nike, Armani, why only the fit guys can use good clothes, only what I could bougth was a thermal jacket at  Timberland stores this was very expensive.   :(  Shoes It's even a bigger problem, just nobody sells 13US even the more expensives and genuine stores. I was hoping China were a different story. Everything is made in China, all my best clothing and electronic items were made once in China. 

BTW do you know if the Cold make you loose weigth somehow?

You list clothes like adidas and nike, then ask why only fit guys can wear them. These are sports brands, marketed at sporty people, sporty people are normally fit. No the cold will not make you lose weight. The cold will slow your metabolism and you will gain weight, add to that the slowed metabolism will mean you will have less energy and feel lazier so you will sit around and eat more.

Only you can make you lose weight, fitness is an attitude. Harbin's a good city if you want to get fit. there's a few decent gyms, there's parks everywhere with exercise equipment, you'll do more walking here than you do back home because it's an excuse to go exploring. Also there's a real fitness culture here, the skinny nerd asian stereotype isn't really true here, the dongbei people pride themselves on being fit, strong and masculine, there's a lot of REALLY big (built not fat) chinese guys here.

I know what you saying, but I was fit some years ago before getting fat, but still very tall and muscled (I was a gym guy also). The problem still remained, adidas nike clothes didn't fit my size confortable, they made too much pressure on my biceps, chest and back now they only make pressure in my belly :P

So what, fat people is supposed to walk around naked?

BTW I innitally tougth that the problem with my size It's because Chinese factories send us in southamerica the "crapy"merchandise whenever they send the rigth sizes to USA.

I've only had trouble finding shoes that fit me in China, I'm a size 10.5 in the US, around a 44 in China, and usually the selection of larger shoes are not as good looking as the smaller sized shoes. After I bought a pair of shoes in China they ended up breaking and scraping my ankles after walking so much, didn't really notice until I saw a bit of blood on the shoes after I took it off, that's when I learned you get what you pay for in China.. 一分钱一分货  I recommend you take as much as you can from your native country, it'll save you time and money. 

• Like 1

But like everyone is saying. Just worry about your shoes, that's the one thing you won't get here. As for shirts, you'll be surprised how cheaply you can just go to clothing city and get some shirts made to fit. And the better your bartering skills the cheaper it will get