Chinese-Forums

Weightlifting in Chinese - translations

ouyangjun

So I've started to get back into lifting weights again and I decided to record my lifting journal in Chinese.  Last night as I was recording my workout I realized I didn't know the Chinese words for the lifts I was doing.  I'd like to get a collection of the lifting terms.  I'll start with my standard core lifts that my workouts are built around.  

Below I've found some translations via the internet, but I'm not sure how reliable these translations are...

Squat - 后深蹲 

Deadlift - 硬拉 or 提举 

Bench press - 仰卧推举

Shoulder press - 肩膊推举

Clean - 提玲至胸  or 力量翻

Pull-ups - 上拉 

Push-ups - 俯卧撑

Sit-ups - 仰卧起坐

BTW how do you say "buff"? The only expression I could think of was 肌肉发达 but it's not slangy enough. 

I'm not sure about that one... If you look around China lifting weights in that way is not as popular as in the US, but I'm not sure if in Chinese there are similar slang terms in regards to one who lifts a lot and has a lot of muscle.  Hopefully someone else can add more input.  From my perspective something along the lines of 男人味儿 could work... not specifically to buff, but just manly in general.  I've heard it used when not cleanly shaven or just manliness in general.

I learnt pull-ups as 引体向上. Baidu image search shows images of people doing pull-ups for 引体向上, whereas for 上拉 it shows a mixture of unrelated images and images of various exercises involving pulling weights in an upwards direction (none of which are what I think of as "pull ups", unless this is a difference between British/American usage?)

For buff, wouldn't 壮 (zhuàng) be good enough? Though I suppose 壮-guys don't have to have well-developed muscles... but it's such a common term, I had to bring it up.

@MPhillips - Actually pull-ups and chin-ups are different (from my American sports upbringing at least).  Chin-ups are done with the palms gripping the bar facing away from the body, while pull ups are done with the palms gripping the bar facing towards the body.

@Demonic Duck - looks like 引体向上 is correct.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...