Chinese-Forums

Intensive Mandarin during Golden Week

aldunn

Hello,

I'm living and working in HK and a few years ago I did an intensive semester at ECNU in shanghai. I thought it was a fantastic course and the teachers very capable - I'm glad I chose to go to a uni and not a private college for that. Best value for money.

I try to keep up with my mandarin study, but it's difficult working full time and not as easy as you'd think getting the exposure in HK.

I was looking for a week long crash course during golden week somewhere in China. I think the intense study really helps, and also a week in the mainland for a little exposure. I know golden week is the worst possible time of the year to try and do anything, but though I'd ask.

Thanks in advance,

Al

You need to contact some private schools to check availability of teachers. Doubt you will find a university-affiliated program. The schools I've dealt with usually had a few teachers from far away who didn't plan to travel home for the holiday.

I'm not convinced that a week will be of much value, but it's probably better than nothing. Plus you will get a (tiny) dose of Mandarin immersion.

Note: this is not a recommendation only information about what LTL offers because I work for LTL

LTL offers courses in Beijing and Chengde during golden week, though if you are only there for one week, I would recommend to go for 1-on-1 classes, as the group class schedules get changed around during the holidays and with 1-on-1 the times can be more specifically tailored to your specific arrival/departure time.

If you have very little time, really want to get ahead, have lived in China before (Shanghai kind of counts there, so should be ok) and are not afraid of full immersion, I would recommend to do it in Chengde, about two hours North of Beijing.

If living with a homestay family and complete immersion is not your thing, studying in Beijing is of course is also possible, all the courses run all year round. If you want to do it, email to confirm regarding teacher availability though, I do not have the class and holiday schedules here right now. However, I do not think it should be a problem, we pay good money for teachers to stay during the holidays, so many do. Early sign up for courses over the holidays obviously helps.

• Like 2

Homestay immersion in a smallish city while taking one-to-one classes would seem to be just the ticket. Good suggestion @LTL.

If this guy is really interested in doing it, he now has been shown a way. (First-time posters who disappear do not inspire much trust.)