Chinese-Forums

ellipsis

Pedroski

I had this sentence today, and at first I couldn't wrap my head around it.

收费相差较多的是异地跨行的汇款业务。

So I tried this:

收费相差较多的汇款业务是异地跨行的汇款业务。

Then I tried

异地跨行的汇款业务是收费相差较多的。

Inter-city inter-bank remittance service charge differences are relatively large.

Is that about right??

The first two mean the same, basically as in your translation at the bottom. The final sentence where you have switched the elements of the sentence around has a different meaning, or at least, a different emphasis. I would translate the last one as, "Intercity interbank remittance service charges are what have relatively large differences".

The syntax threw me a bit.

Adjective——【nothing]——是——Adjective——汇款业务

收费相差较多的——【nothing]——是——【异地跨行的】——汇款业务。

charge difference comparatively many 的 [nothing] is [inter place inter bank] 的 remit service

Whereby [nothing] = 业务 or 汇款义务

"What has relatively large differences is 异地跨行的汇款业务."

The ____的是____ operates pretty similarly to "It is ___ that ___" clefts in that the focus here is on that which is 收费相差较多的, repositioning the focused element to the end.

收费相差较多的是异地跨行的汇款业务。

In English we can say:

'The children are playing in the playground. The little ones in the sandbox, the big ones on the swings.' Here 'ones' is a pronoun for children. 

In German, this would be:

Die Kinder spielen auf dem Spielplatz. Die kleinen [ ] im Sandkasten, die grossen [ ]auf den Schaukeln. The adjectives 'kleinen (= little)' 'grossen (= big)' are here pronouns,or we have ellipsis. It is impossible to decide.

The difference is, in English, we need to use ‘one’ or 'ones', whereas, in German, we don't need this kind of pronoun

Now, here we have a Chinese sentence:

收费相差较多的是异地跨行的汇款业务。

An adjective, being a descriptive element, may be removed from a sentence. I called 收费相差较多的 an adjective.  This was not accurate. It cannot be removed, or the sentence collapses.

*是异地跨行的汇款业务。

So I think, the adjective 收费相差较多的 is acting as a pronoun, in the same way as we use adjectives in German,  a so called cataphor, its point of reference being 汇款业务.

Another explanation might be: Chinese does not need to use a verb (你多大, 你多高). 是 = that 。

晚安!

The difference is, in English, we need to use ‘one’ or 'ones', whereas, in German, we don't need this kind of pronoun

I don't think it is obligatory in English. For example, "The big children are playing with their cars. The wealthy with Lamborghinis and the poor with their Skodas".

You are right. Just in my example I would not like 'the little in the sandbox' or 'the big on the swings'.

孩子们在公园,小的【】在沙坑里玩,大的【】在玩秋千。 If this is indeed an acceptable Chinese sentence, then Chinese syntax and ellipsis looks a lot like German.

That's precisely what Chinese ellipsis looks like, well done.

But German has those pesky articles and I am relatively certain "Die Kinder spielen auf dem Spielplatz. kleinen [ ] im Sandkasten, grossen [ ] auf den Schaukeln" is not acceptable.

I think if you want to call it a "null pronoun" you probably could, and I don't think ellipsis and status as a pronoun are mutually exclusive.

• Like 1