Chinese-Forums

Body waxing (蜜蜡脱毛) in China

tooironic

Does anyone here have any experience with body waxing (蜜蜡脱毛) in China?

I get my back and shoulders waxed every few months, but now that I'm moving to Xiamen this month I'm concerned that I won't be able to find this kind of service in China.

I understand that it's unlikely waxing as a commercial enterprise exists in mainland China, but I thought there's no harm in asking here to see if any other non-Chinese have been in a similar predicament.

I've asked some local Xiamen friends already and they said they had no idea. I suppose if worst comes to worst I could purchase some decent quality wax in Melbourne before I move, then pay a hairdresser/ayi to do the waxing for me in China.

Has anyone been in a similar situation before that could give me some advice? Thanks.

I've had my legs waxed in Beijing a few times, it certainly exists, and the service is probably used by Chinese as well or it wouldn't be viable, even in Beijing.

My thinking was that foreigners, being more hairy than Chinese, will probably know where to go for waxing, so I searched google and the Beijinger in English and found several places that did it. Just now I tried googling 'waxing Xiamen' and there are several relevant threads on a site called whatsonxiamen.com (unfortunately it won't load for me), as well as this article introducing a place that waxes.

If for whatever reason google doesn't work, ask some expat women once you get to Xiamen. If it exists, they will be the ones who know.

In the unlikely event that there really are no waxing places in Xiamen, if I were you I wouldn't go the ayi/hairdresser route. In my experience, it takes a few tries to get it right (as I learned when I started waxing my legs by myself). I wouldn't let a stranger have those tries on my body. If you only need it every few months, you can perhaps go to Shanghai, you can be sure they have it there.

• Like 1

Why don't you get a friend to do that for you?

Because it takes a few tries to get it right, and it's rather uncomfortable when it goes wrong (waxing more painful, inflammated skin, what have you). If there are professionals available, and you have the money, and you can't reach the hairy area yourself, it's better to have a professional do it. Also, not everyone is comfortable with having their friends do their messy beauty regimen.
  • Like 1