Chinese-Forums

犯贱 - definition and translation please

metal.lunchbox

I recently came across a word not in my dictionaries which is apparently naughty enough that I can't easily get a clear definition. Can anyone help me understand the exact meaning and best translation of the word 犯贱?

My impression is that it's close to the English word "bitch" or "bitchy" when it is used to refer to someone who is mean or disrespectful, or behaves towards others in some other way that makes others yell pejoratives at them. Is that close? Does it have other meanings?

I came across this word while watching Tiny Times 3, a movie I would only recommend if you are trying to know what a Chinese teen movie is like these days. One of the characters says "我就是犯贱", a translation was given as "I'm a bitch", but that b-word can mean just about anything and the translations given in Chinese dual-language subtitles are totally not reliable.

So what's this word about exactly?

Similar to 明知山有虎,偏向虎山行 - which shows brave temperament of someone, while 犯贱 means doing something not honorable or you have to lose your dignity to do something. For instance, flatter someone despicable. 

If you're up to/up for deciphering definitions in Chinese, you can almost always find user-written definitions on Baidu for stuff like this, simply by typing "XX是什么意思" into the search box.

http://zhidao.baidu.com/link?url=FCwBx_Xd5RKNuMstU8wpwsk9xGVNPqv1JxsQwr41aF-sRNWSa6XxPeU9J2m97EIRNbbSOWe2sPHBIBMwJ3SPGq

• Like 2

I think the reason I'm posting this here, is that while there are such easy to find definitions in Chinese, I'm also looking for a good translation. I'm not confident even after reading some of those definitions. From the usage I've seen and looking at it again after the above, useful comments, could one translate this as "shameless"?

"这就是犯贱!武汉男子专拍车模胸部" - This is shameless. Hunan man sneaking pictures of carshow girl's bossom.

Or is this example more like the above definitions, not really a judgdment, like shameless, "This man can't be helped, taking pictures of the carshow girl's bossom." Is the emphasis in the above sentence not about judging the man for doing taking the pictures, but hinting at the awful consequense of this actions (the girl will beat him or shame him) Am I close? I get that its people doing things they know they shouldn't do, or doing things they know are bad for them. Is it "masochist"? "He's asking for it, taking pictures of the carshow girl's bossom"

我也不是草船,你干嘛对我放贱!!

In the above sentence, 贱 is actually being substituted for 剑, because they share the same pronunciation. It plays of a background story of an ancient war and a special strategy to collect arrows from the enemy by sending a grass boat across a river (which was shot at, and eventually accumulated enough arrows to help the opposing force when the battle). Roughly translated, the above sentence means - "I'm not a grass boat, why are you hitting me with arrows" or, with the substitution of 贱, simply "Why are you being such a [insert explative of your choice here]."

犯贱 means the same thing as 发贱,as well as 放贱 in the above sentence.

All of which apparently mean:

"做出招人鄙弃的举动"

Basically to do something people detest.