Chinese-Forums

Would-be employer won't provide Z visa. Visa agent?

Alex Whiteman

Hi, I'm negotiating a middle manager position at a small, foreign-owned company.

I'm not done with the interviewing process yet but it's beginning to sound to me that they can't legally hire foreigners - and so they've been dodging the whole visa issue so far. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Now, assuming it's the case and that I follow some people's recommendation of getting the visa through "an agent".
How does this work? I understand there's more than one thing at play here: the visa, the residence permit and the work permit (and what about the "foreign expert" certificate?). I suppose also - but I don't know - that I'd be legally working for another company.

Can someone enlighten me on how does this work and the risks involved?

You can only legally work for the company who provides you with your visa. So if your visa is for another company, you're illegal.

The risks:

• Possible short term detainment (I don't think it's too likely)

• Expensive fines

• Deportation and ban from China

I'm no lawyer, but that's the general gist of it I think.

• Like 2

A guy I know managed to get a visa through "an agency" for his place of work. It was the right visa and tied to his actual job. His employer could not have got him a Z / work permit otherwise.

I'm pretty sure the "agent" had no office and didn't advertise. It was just one agent with a mobile found through word of mouth. I imagine they had a few meetings with a few middle level office workers to push it through.

That was some time ago though. It seems like Beijing has tightened up a lot since then.

I'd probably find a different job in your case. Not worth being deported, fined or imprisoned.

Hi Alex,

When our company recruits foreigners for groups in China one of the first checks we perform is for certification proving they are able to legally hire foreigners and provide Z visas (unless a short-term teacher camp job etc). It is important and you should push them on this to see if they can hire you legally.

As it happens, huge numbers of people over here work on visas that are not appropriate (e.g. a non Z visa, a Z visa that isn't actually appropriate etc). It seems it is fine for 99% however it is a risk and a risk that I wouldn't take. 

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be an illegal immigrant.

If you decide to work and you don't have the right visa provided by your employer, I'm sorry but you will be an illegal immigrant. It's your choice.

They are most likely not authorized to employ foreigners. For any Chinese company, business, School or University within mainland China they must hold a permit to employ any foreigners period.

If you get caught working for anyone by the PSB on a visa violation you face the trouble alone and pay all the fines yourself.

Welcome to China.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm passing this opportunity as I have about 9 months to find something better (legal).

Shame that the government restricts their capacity to hire foreigners - I've seen the same things the interviewing manager was saying regarding local working culture. I also don't think they are going to find many other foreigners with years of experience in my field plus languages. . . let alone willing to work illegally, 6 days a week. . . So sad. . .