Chinese-Forums

Wishing Your Chinese Teacher a Happy Teachers’ Day on September 11th

Tianjin42

September 10th (edit - some sources suggest the 11th) will be Teachers’ Day. Previously I have taken the time to send a mail/ message to my previous teachers of Chinese to thank them on this day and it has really meant a lot to them. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get in touch with your teachers and wish them a Happy Teachers’ Day.

Also I thought it would be a good point to discuss what makes a good teacher (of Chinese)/ your favourite teacher of Chinese.

I will go first.

My favourite Chinese teacher is actually a current teacher of mine. It is difficult to describe why I think she is so good at what she does – one of the reasons is perhaps related to the fact that only after 6 months of teaching did I learn that she could speak English fluently. We have discussed complex matters, often with complex vocab, so she has great patience never to have lapsed into English.

The teacher in question has spent a lot of time abroad which I think has given her a better degree of understanding with, and empathy for, students of Chinese in China. As well as simply being able to grasp what the student is trying to say/ which sentence they are trying to construct, I think that she actually has empathy with the students as they fumble by in a new language.

Finally, all the classes were well-prepared and she had a genuine interest in both students and the material we were studying. In general I have had many teachers who don’t really seem to have an interest in the students or material and I think my teacher’s engagement with both are very positive.

So what about you? What traits does your favourite teacher of Chinese have and what traits do your think are particularly positive for teachers of Chinese?

• Like 1

My favorite teacher was my second teacher. She taught me for about 10 years. She is British, born in Shanghai and was a young girl, about 8 years old i think, when they had to leave because of the troubles.

Her best trait was her passion for Chinese and china. Our lessons were a cross between learning and friends chatting. We had a small group of 5 or 6 and we met every Wednesday for about 10 years.

She taught me Chinese but was also a friend in the end. She was the teacher who opened my eyes to the beauty of Chinese characters and Chinese culture.

Unfortunately her husband became ill and Chinese lessons had to end, a sad day for me.

I am not sure it would be possible to expect all teachers of Chinese to share her passion for Chinese but this in my opinion is the most positive thing for a teacher. Even if they are not the best organized or punctual,  passion and caring can make up for it.

I didn't know there was a teacher's day. Good to know. I don't really have a favourite type. Any teacher that can match my demands is enough for me. Usually I'm very demanding as a student, so classes have to we'll prepared.

Right now I have 2 teachers, I prefer one to the other mainly because one has a greater vocabulary. More precise, less mistakes.

Good Shout. I wrote that having seen a few mentions in English language China Daily reports:

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2014-09/09/content_18566338.htm

"A few days before this year’s Teachers’ Day, which falls on Sept 11"

This particular one is China Daily USA but it is 11th in a number. Is there a difference between the countries here then?

In terms of Chinese teachers, what makes a good teacher?  In my experience:

Courageous to stop the student in mid stream when they are making repeated mistakes

- Courageous enough to keep quiet long enough to let the student try to complete their own sentences, correct their own mistakes, before jumping in.

- Determined enough to keep a distinction between "understandable" and "correct" pronunciation (or grammar)

- Prepared with ideas and exercises that broaden knowledge and challenge me

Also it was very helpful to have a teacher who was embarrassed enough by her English to barely use it.

Good Shout. I wrote that having seen a few mentions in English language China Daily reports:

http://usa.chinadail...nt_18566338.htm

"A few days before this year’s Teachers’ Day, which falls on Sept 11"

This particular one is China Daily USA but it is 11th in a number. Is there a difference between the countries here then?

No. It's just an old-fashioned mistake. China's teacher's day  has been on different dates throughout history, but September 11th has never been one of them 

Happy Teachers' day to all the teachers on here!

@Tianjin42 -  I'm pretty sure I'm actually in the same class as you (when we both turn up). You wouldn't happen to have a name beginning with M, and the teacher's (pinyin) name begins with Y?

Anyway, if that's the teacher you're referring to, I agree that she's excellent. Very patient, high level of knowledge of both Chinese and English, and the ability to resist using the latter as a crutch. Doesn't shy away from correcting students, but manages not to overcorrect either. Able to give good, accurate yet simple explanations of new concepts. And she always plans lessons carefully.