Chinese-Forums

How to translate the legal meaning "estate" into Chinese?

tooironic

Is there a word for the legal meaning of "estate" in Chinese?

I'm talking about all the money and property owned by a particular person after one's death.

I know you can say 财产 to cover it, but I remember hearing somewhere that there is an exact word in Chinese, can anyone enlighten me?

Dictionaries have been of no help. Thanks

It literally means 资产 in Hong Kong.

I know that because I've got a list of government document stating that 资产 includes deposits, investment, insurance, property/land/vehicle and business.

The difference between 财产 and 资产 is that 资产 can bring you cash inflow like investment but 财产 depreciates.

You might say 遗产 legacy if the person is dead.

I think it's also important to think about the various senses of the word, since in English "estate" refers to your worth when you're alive or dead, but depending on the situation it will have certain exclusions.

If it's after you die, I would say 遗产. If you're still alive, I'd say 资产 since a person's 可动产 + their 不动产 = their 资产.

Ah yes that's the word, 遗产. My CC defines it as 死者留下的财产. Perfect.

Though technically it more refers to legacy or inheritance, but as long as the context makes it clear you're talking about a deceased's estate than I think it's a good translation.

Thanks guys.