Chinese-Forums

Getting a work permit without work experience?

HariboJ

• New Members

Hi guys! I've just graduated from uni in Beijing. I'm British but married to a Chinese guy so currently on the Q (family reunion) visa, which doesn't allow me to work. However as I understand, in order to get a work permit you need to have 2 years work expereince now?! I don't have that, as obviously I've been studying not working, is there any way around this?? Any advice would be hugely appreciated :)

Officially there is no other way (btw, what do the students do who graduated in China? they do free internships for two years?)

However, if you can find somebody who is willing to confirm that you were employed by his/her company, then it is okay. A lot of inexperienced, freshly graduated foreigners do this trick. I personally don't know how they managed to find a job with a serious lack of experience, but just like other things in China, this is not a fair game either.

Since you have already graduated, there should be no problem with the visa if you do the trick. Not having a diploma would be a tougher case.

I could be wrong, but I think the 2 years is required for the Foreign Expert Certificate, not actually for the Work Visa.

What job are you interested in doing?

If you were to open your own business with your husband you should be required to get a Foreign Employment Permit which seems not to have the same requirement.

Also dependant on the job you could possibly negotiate with the appropriate office. They may have other options for you or be able let you skip that since you both graduated in China and are married to a Chinese citizen living in China. There's no guarantees and I have no idea of the chances but I've found there's lots of helpful rules I've missed in the past just because I didn't know who to talk to about it. Remember to be always friendly, never aggressive and greatly thankful when talking to those government people. Never blame them for anything in anyway, they hate that.

If you ever want to talk to someone with a higher rank... Use tactful wording:

"It's a pity your position doesn't give you permission to help me, maybe I could speak to someone else who can make bigger decisions." ~ Note that here I blame the system, not the person who "of course" "tried to help me as much as they possibly could which I'm very thankful for".

The point is if you upset them, they don't want to help you even if they find a way to.