Chinese-Forums

Studying in Yangshu

stirfriedalex

• New Members

Hi everyone,

I've often used this site over the last few years to find resources about studying Chinese. EG comics and TV shows etc....and so thanks for that it's a great community.

Anyway, I'm taking my HSK 5 in a couple of weeks in Shenzhen and am studying for it in Yangshuo, near Guilin, and it's just a really great place to study so I thought I'd write a post about it.

Essentially it's a touristiyish place in Guilin,, and yeah there are a lot of foreigners here, but there's also loads of Chinese people to practice with. But, one of the things that I think really sets this place apart is the number of activities you can do - and the fact you can do them with the locals. Recently I've been rockclimbing, swimming in the local river, bouldering at the water's edge (creeping across the rocks before jumping backwards into the water!) and doing loads of cycling and hiking. I feel like you really know your Chinese is getting good when you start screaming at 15 metres 'I can't hold on anymore' or being taught by a local how to negotiate a particularly hard bit of the rock face at the river, in Chinese, before finally giving up and catapulting yourself off into the water!

As a bit of background I've previously studied in Beijing, Sichuan, and Taiwan, but I think this has been so nice just because of the number of fun things I've been able to do with local Chinese friends.....and how much I've been able to get out into the great outdoors after my study schedule.

Anyway, it's been cool so I'm just recommending it as a possible study destination for a chinese student with an adventurous side!

Alex

• Like 3

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It sounds absolutely brilliant for the active types. I enjoy the outdoors but a at a slower pace suitable for my abilities.

Let us know how your exam goes.

Hope you do well.

• New Members

Thanks mate,

Yeah I'm sure the exam will be fine. I'm kind of between HSK 5 and 6 so the 5 is kind of easy for me right now, but the 6 I would maybe fail. Anyway, I've got a final interview for a job in HK coming up, and only had a certain time to prepare for this exam, so opted for the 5, and the rcok climbing.....

hi alex!

I am actually Alex too hehe

you mean studying by yourself or at a school, with tutors?? I am into rock climbing as well so I might consider going there at some point to combine Mandarin lessons and climbing...

would you mind sharing a bit more about how your studying, and for example accommodation there? 

thanks mate!

• New Members

I'm studying at a language school taking their HSK prep classes. It's the only one in the town as far as I know. It's been quite good. I have 1 to 1 tuition but I think some people are in small classes. The accommodation is ok but I have a weird Chinese room mate atm so I'm going to move out to somewhere more idyllic and less annoying for the last week here.

TBH I've studied at a few different places and this school is nothing special but it's just in such a cool place. Really enjoyed my time here.