Chinese-Forums

Translating 进口国

tooironic

I've come across something in my translation work that has confused me regarding the term 进口国. It seems that in different contexts it has a slightly different meaning.

For example: 中国是一个进口国。This means China imports things from other countries into China, right?

But in a different context, consider: 中国的其他主要进口国还有澳大利亚和新西兰。This means Australia and New Zealand export things into China, but here the Chinese party refers to Australia and New Zealand as their 进口国...

So, how can I translate this second sentence into reasonable English?

Thanks.

I'm confused by #2... The sentence 中国的其他主要进口国还有澳大利亚和新西兰 means that China imports things from Oz and Kiwi, not the other way around.

"Other major countries in China's import market are Australia and New Zealand" perhaps.

The sentence 中国的其他主要进口国还有澳大利亚和新西兰 means that China imports things from Oz and Kiwi, not the other way around.

Does it? I read it as referring to the main importers of Chinese goods, but I'm unsure. Perhaps some more context?

Australia and NZ are a blip when it comes to importing Chinese goods. But quite a few of China's imports come from these countries, including agriculture and minerals.

So unless this is a work of fiction the meaning seems clear.

进口 and 出口 both need a point of reference to know which direction the trade is going in. In this case, China is the point of reference, so when you say 进口 and you're talking about China, China is doing the importing.

• Like 1