Chinese-Forums

Citizenship

672wolf

The short version: you can't get it.

Pretty much.

While there is a tad more nuance than that, a foreigner obtaining Chinese permanent residency is so exceedingly rare, and obtaining citizenship even more so, that it might as well be considered impossible under most circumstances.

Perhaps, if you can shed more light on your situation, we can provide more detailed answers; possibly explaining the process, but more likely explaining an alternative and/or why citizenship isn't really the best option.

Unless you're of Chinese descent or had Chinese citizenship before. It's not simple at all.

In order to get Chinese Citizenship you need to first have a Chinese green card.

Some general recommendations of who should be able to apply for this are:

• Nobel Prize Winners

• Olympic Athletes

• Those who are investing millions into China over several years.
• Those who have been married to a Chinese citizen for 5+ years of which the most recent 4 the person has been in China for at least 9 months of every year.
• Those who the government specifically needs/requests.

I've not heard of anyone getting it through the marriage route.

You will also need to give up any other nationality you have.

Pretty much forget it for now until the rules change and it becomes easier. Unless of course you are very exceptional.

DISCLAIMER

This is just a rough guide based on my failing memory.
  • Like 1

There are some cases here in HK. It may be more appealing for you to naturalise here, as some countries tax nationals on their global income (eg. US), and so even PR may not be enough if you want to enjoy the low tax rate. The only person I know who's done that is a billionaire, so good luck, but yeah it can be done.

Unless you plan on becoming a member of the Politburo, then you'll have to ask Roddy.

I'd really like to know the OP's reasons for seeking citizenship. It sounds like it is practically impossible anyway but  assuming the OP is from Europe or the States, Chinese citizenship would just complicate ones life, countries which s/he could currently walk into would suddenly require a ton of paperwork and visas and so on. I don't mean to offend anyone but IMHO the only place Chinese citizenship is worth having is China and, considering the complete control the state would then have over you, maybe not even then.

• Like 2

Oh I forgot about Zimmerman. There are at least three Westerners then. Paul Zimmerman, Mike Rowse and Allan Zeman. There are many cases of naturalisation of Pakistani, Indian and Indonesian people. They must have deep relationship with Hong Kong / China (eg born in HK or have been in HK for a large part of their lives).

This thread is relevant - http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/8402-chinese-citizenship-query/page-4

672wolf, you might be better off explaining what you want citizenship for - perhaps there's another way to achieve the same or similar effect that you will actually be able to accomplish.

Otherwise here is step 1:

'have several million dollars', or if that is not practical

'live in china for decades'

Come back when you have completed step 1 and we can then discuss step 2.

• Like 1