Chinese-Forums

Working in China #3: Finding a Role

Tianjin42

Another update and today at Roddy’s behest we will consider channels to find work. This may be a topic that you can contribute to below.

The request came at a good time – tomorrow there is a “Job Fair for Foreigners in Shanghai”. We were informed that this particular event is an “enterprise fair” meaning that there won’t be teaching roles but I will believe that when I see it.

For your information there will also be a big fair in Beijing next Saturday though it seems after a couple of decent fairs, they have become teaching heavy. My colleagues and I will be at both (main booth in Beijing; minor side booth in Shanghai) so if you are around and want to come for a chat then feel free.

Information on times and locations here: http://jobfair.chinajob.com/employee.php

So moving away from job fairs – how should you search for jobs as a foreign national in China. First of all there isn’t really one perfect channel here (this is one of the reasons we started the business we work in). It is more of a hops-botch of official and semi-official channels that many of you will probably be able to list.

Obviously it depends very much on what you are looking for.

Of the people that we assist, many have previously used thebeijinger.com and echinacities.com. There is a range of jobs here and from the experiences of the candidates we speak to – one must proceed with caution when seeking jobs here. There are though, occasionally legitimate positions for really interesting jobs in China.

The same can be said for SmartShanghai where because of the charge to post jobs, the roles up there are typically a higher standard. Remember though – it is usually teaching heavy.

Linked in is growing in importance and a decent profile on there (and membership to some groups e.g. jobs in China, Foreign HR, China expats) can get you noticed or at least help to highlight a few jobs that might interest you.

One sometimes neglected arena is that of the embassy/ chamber websites. There is a serious gulf in quality between the good and the bad but you could do worse that occasionally check jobs listed on such sites (e.g. The European Chamber in Beijing: http://www.europeanchamber.com.cn/en/job-vacancies)

It is almost a cliché but your personal network is worth a lot. Contact directly the groups that you would like to work for (again, a Linked in Search might help here for the HR). There are various networking events in major cities (for example FC Club in Beijing). Collect up the business-cards and don’t be shy with yours.

On our side we send out some new jobs on the WeChat account and that is fairly useful: http://www.foreignhr.com/#!wechat-account/c1ijk

One final tip – remember that many bigger groups now have algorithms for scanning applications/ CVs in the database. Remember to ensure that your CV contains key words in relation to the job you are looking for (I would alter your CV for each role you apply for). The first check on your CV might not be performed by a human.

My colleagues and I will now head down to Shanghai for the fair so please bear with me in terms of replies for in this thread. Do feel free to add any other channels to find work that you know of. 

• Like 1

I am planning to be in Shanghai tomorrow. Not sure if I am interested though. I did a TEFL course I found at chinajob.com (same website as this fair). I was supposed to be teaching English now, but when a company applied for my work permit this summer their application was rejected. I don't know what kind of 'enterprise fair' this one will be. Probably it will be difficult for me to get a work permit. 

That's my experience with working in China. No work permit = no job. 

I did a TEFL course I found at chinajob.com (same website as this fair). I was supposed to be teaching English now, but when a company applied for my work permit this summer their application was rejected.

Possibly because the regulations require a minimum of a bachelor's degree (you don't say if you have or not) and two years experience.

and you need to be a native speaker, which I am not.

At least in Hangzhou. Different local authorities have set different rules when it comes to this requirement. 

This is how I understand it ....

You should look at nationally set requirements for teaching as more of a 'guideline'. Each province has some flexibility as to how they interpret these which is why sometimes people who don't meet the requirements can get residence permits and legal jobs teaching English. For example, people from the Philipines or Ghana teaching English in Xi'an. People without a degree teaching in Yinchuan.

However, it seems that things have been tightening up over the past year or two throughout China. Especially in larger, east coast cities. It's still possible to find a job and not be a native speaker though, especially if you meet the other requirements.

There are also other factors like if the school who wants to hire you has a good relationship with those in government responsible for your permit.

Really, it depends on a lot of factors...

Based on your post I guess that the jobs market for foreigners in China isn't exactly dynamic, or am I misreading you?

Basically there is the occasional serious job but it's mostly teaching really. I have a few friends who have found relatively well-paid, qualified work here in China, but they seem to be rare cases in a sea of foreigners wondering how to make their Chinese skills pay off, or how to stay in China without teaching English.

Same picture when you attend internations events, expats with good jobs were sent to China, and didn't find their jobs in China.