Chinese-Forums

HSK and Chinese Government Scholarship

chais

• New Members

Hello!

I want to take the HSK exam this spring and also try my chance with getting the scholarship, too. But I have some questions.

As far as I have read, the speaking section is considered as if it's a whole different exam and isn't written on the HSK certificate either. One should apply separately for them, too. (Please correct me if I am wrong, though)

So, my question is, would only taking the written HSK exam and not the HSKK exam be enough to be able to apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship? Also, I want to try to get a Bachelor's degree scholarship with one year of language study before the B.A., would it be possible?

Thank you and hope you will reply soon! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members
So, my question is, would only taking the written HSK exam and not the HSKK exam be enough to be able to apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship?

As far as I know, you have to take both HSK and HSKK to be able to get the Scholarship. 

If you are applying for the Chinese Scholarship Council or Chinese Government Scholarship you don't need to sit the HSK exam. As you want to apply for a Bachelors degree plus one year of language study, then there is no Chinese language requirement.

However, if you want to apply for the Confucius Institute Scholarship (it is easier to obtain as an individual applicant), you will need to do well for both HSK and HSKK exams. You can apply for a Bachelors degree as well, but this scholarship only covers Chinese language-related courses.

• Like 2

• New Members

if you want to apply for the Confucius Institute Scholarship (it is easier to obtain as an individual applicant)

Why is it easier to obtain the Confucius Institute Scholarship?

Also I have just reread the information page for the Chinese Government Scholarship and it said noticed it says 'CSC does not accept any individual application other than the recommended applications from the dispatching authorities.' 

What exactly are those authorities? Embassies? That part means I should apply via an embassy or?

That is exactly why the CIS is easier to obtain than the CSC scholarship (for Bachelors) - because the CSC requires recommendations from authorities such as the Chinese embassy in your country, specific government body (usu. Ministry of Education), and so on. While the CIS is known for giving out scholarships to individual applicants as long as they meet the language requirements. So the CIS is easier to obtain if you are applying without the help of your embassy or MoE.

Yes, if you want to do a Bachelors under the CSC scholarship then your best bet is to apply through the Chinese embassy in your country (they might direct you to the MoE or government body responsible). There will probably be lots of applicants, but only a certain number of students will be successful. For Masters and PhD however, you can apply directly to the university.

• New Members

Well, I don't really know how to apply for scholarships individually so I will apply through the embassy at any rate.

By the way, I read CIS's information page today too and the part about the bachelor's scholarships says only the major of teaching Chinese to foreigners is supported by CIS. I don't want to major in teaching Chinese so CIS isn't really suitable for me I guess or am I missing something?

Granted, this was several years ago, but I got a scholarship to go to China and prepare for the HSK.

I applied for a grad school scholarship, and they tag on one year of free Chinese studies focused on passing the HSK.

There's no reason you can't take this option if it's still available.

@mokushiroku Hi, just saw your post today. Did you applied for a postgraduate course delivered in Chinese or English?  Suppose I want to apply for CSC Scholarship for a master degree delivered in Chinese but my HSK score is not sufficient enough to get admission in the program. Is it still possible to get the scholarship for language study to prepare the HSK first and then continue with the master program after that?

Or are we supposed to apply for English-masters program only if our Chinese level is not sufficient enough to gain admission? Have anyone had any experience?

• 3 weeks later...

@alayeer

I applied for a true Chinese Grad School program, conducted in Chinese. My Chinese was not at such a high level at that point, but I still got into the program, conditional upon a year of intensive Chinese study. I'm saying you can purposefully go for the year of Chinese study, not grad school, so pass ing the HSK in the end is unnecessary.

• 5 weeks later...

I want to add this: the HSK requirement for the Confucius Institute scholarship is different to that of the Chinese Government Scholarship (Chinese Scholarship Council's scholarship). The CIS scholarship is specifically for those who are into the Chinese language - be it those who want to master it or those who wants to improve on what they already know. That is why if you want the CIS scholarship, both the HSK and HSKK certificates are necessary for your application.

The CSC scholarship is different. It is broader. You can still study or master Chinese language courses on the CSC scholarship. However, there is no Chinese language requirement upon application. If you want to apply for a degree taught in Chinese then you will have to do 1 or 2 years of Chinese language learning prior to the commencement of your degree programme.

For the CIS, they highly welcome individual applicants and applicants enrolled under a Confucius Institute in their country of origin. However, for the CSC it is different: if you want to do a bachelors degree then they only accept applicants with 'special' recommendations (especially embassy recommendations or MoE/Government recommendations). If you want to apply for anything higher (e.g. Masters, PhD, etc.) then they will accept individual applications as long as you have a recommendation and an admissions letter from the university you want to be enrolled into.

Some people get the scholarship, some people do not. Through personal experience, most people with the 'correct' documents get the scholarship. So as much as possible, get it right this year! Wish you all the best of luck.

• 6 years later...
  • New Members

So, at the end of the day what are the key components that must be kept into priority to increase the chances of recieving the CSC scholarship??
stuffs like academic qualifications and GPA and HSK exams and all that stuff.

please reply soon.

Thanks!