Chinese-Forums

New Android Update - Chinese settings

Steingletscher

I updated my android phone, a Google Nexus 5, the other day to the new operating system, called lollipop. On it, they seemed to have changed the Chinese settings and now I cannot draw characters in anymore. As you can see in the screenshot, I only have two options built into the operating system for typing Chinese. Does anyone else have this problem? What is a way to solve it? Though I don't use it everyday, I find myself using it once or twice a week when I am trying to type in a more rare character that is hard to find solely using pinyin, and when talking with some older Chinese people who don't know pinyin.

Also on the update, an English keypad is not a part of the Chinese keypad anymore. Now in order to type in the random English letter or word in a Chinese sentence, I have to switch over the normal English language keypad. While this doesn't seem like much, it takes a few more seconds depending on how many languages you have set. As I have four languages set, it is another minor inconvenience for me.

I have a few other complaints about the update, but they aren't related to Chinese. At least the VPN still works.

post-46425-0-09045600-1416568049_thumb.png

I don't know about your problem exactly but I use a third party input system for Chinese, it also does English and although i don't use them they also support lots of other languages.

it is called GOKeyboard.

You need to download the go keyboard and then the handwriting addon for Chinese.

It is available on the playstore or if no access to the store you can download it direct from their website.

It is free and i have been using it on all my android devices for years.

Hope this helps even if it doesn't answer your question directly.

• Like 1