Chinese-Forums

Do 微信 (WeChat) symbols have particular meaning?

eion_padraig

I've been starting to use the 微信 function People Nearby, and I'm wondering if the symbols people use by their name have a standard or semi-standard meaning.

For instance I see crowns, diamonds, bows, and red lipstick imprints by some of the women's names. I'm wondering if that is short-hand for anything in particular or if it's just the standard flair to add to their names.

Eion

They mean the same as when people used to use similar emotes in their MSN display names - i.e. that the person using them thinks they look cool.

As for how to insert those symbols, I'm not sure, I assume you just use a certain combination of characters.

Edit: looks like it's not a combination of characters, you just input emotes via your input method of choice (I see sougou has some).

Slightly off topic...I have just started using wechat and the people near me function, my question : What do you do once you have found people near you, what is the protocol? Do you start a conversation? What should i expect?

You can. It's up to them whether they respond and become friends with you. Best bet is probably to approach half a dozen people at a time, and only pursue the responses that look valuable.

There's also shaking/摇一摇 (finds people who shake their phones at the same time) and drift bottles/漂流瓶 (leave a message in a bottle; someone finds it and responds).

I keep reading that these functions are used by many as a big pick-up joint, so keep that in mind.

Fortunately I've found the difference to be pretty stark. If you have a significant other, mention them in conversation. (Recently, on a similar social network, I was chatted up something fierce by a girl in China. It got weird, so I mentioned my wife and she just vanished.)

• Like 1

I've let people approach me. Three women have initiated conversation. One got weird pretty fast. The other two were probably looking for boyfriends as they did ask about whether I had a girlfriend, wife, and kids.

I have been trying to read the moment posts in Chinese and trying to figure out quotations people have written. You might also put the fact that you want to practice Chinese in the area where you can post a quick note.

There is an area listed as "What's Up", which is for your status. Lots of folks put cheesy sayings there, but you could list something like, "是外国人。要练习中文“。 This can be read by people who see you under "People Nearby" under the "Discover" section. You could also put more under moments, but the people whould have to look deeper into your profile.

• 2 weeks later...