Chinese-Forums

Scholarships for short term Summer students

will nicholas

Hey guys!

I am trying to plan my summer now, and am investigating if anyone offers scholarships for summer language programs at chinese universities.

I know the chinese government scholarship is not applicable for summer students (as noted in the CSC guide)

does anyone know about the confucius institute scholarships? I thought I saw somewhere online on a university's confucius institute website about 4 week summer scholarships, or something like that? also there is a thread from several years ago where a user talks about being a scholarship student during the summer.

I see that there are a lot of US national programs but I am not a US citizen, just a permanent resident. I am Canadian

Does anyone know of any other scholarships for summer programs that i should consider/ look into?

Thanks for the help guys! much appreciated.

You're correct: Neither the Chinese Government Scholarship program, nor its provincial/municipal/university specific counterparts, have categories for students studying outside of the regular academic year.  For the language student category, this typically mean a minimum of one academic semester, and almost certainly excludes short-term summer programs.

I'm not aware of any Chinese university, Confucius Institute, or other official (Chinese or Canadian) programs offering exactly what you're looking for; but I will take another look around and let you know if anything turns up.

Your best bet is, honestly, to apply for the standard Chinese Government Scholarship, and go abroad for either one or two full years.  Not only are there ample opportunities to have this paid for; but the difference in language level, and sheer fluency, attainable in two years versus two months is astronomical, regardless of your initial Chinese proficiency.

If you would like information about a recommended summer course, feel free to ask or check out my previous post:

If you are interested in longer-term options, ranging from 6 to 18 months, I can also be of assistance; I'm quite familiar with the options available to Canadian students, as well as some specific options to students from Ontario.

Thank you very much for the reply

I have come accross some scholarships offered by the Taiwanese government's Minitstry of Education. They are valid for summer programs of 2-3 months!

just figuring out the logistsic here, and sadly not sure I will qualify because I am not a US citizen, so I cannot apply for the US version of the scholarship, and since I am living in the US right now going to university, might not qualify for the Canadian version either(says you need to show Canadian residency)! bullshit if you ask me... sigh...

Fuck bureaucracy and red tape, hoorah! 

I'm assuming you're referring to the Taiwan Ministry of Education (MOE) Huayu Enrichment Scholarship.  I wasn't aware of this one; but it does cover the summer months you're looking for.

According to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (Canada) website[1], which would likely be your Representative Office, eligibility is limited to Canadian citizens residing in Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Prince Edward Island.  However, on the Taiwan MOE's official website[2], no such residency requirement is listed.

Your best be would be to get in contact with the Representative Office directly, explain the situation (Canadian citizenship with foreign residency) and see whether there are any options available.  Even where specific requirements are stated, sponsoring agencies may very well have some flexibility in terms of implementation; this is especially true in cases (such as yours) where foreign residency is essentially temporary, and due to out of country university studies.

• 7 months later...

Just in case anyone wants to know the end result,

If you are a Canadian living abroad you do not have to be living in Canada at the time of application to apply, you just need a permanent address, also if you choose the summer duration for the scholarship, it is valid for the following summer, not the coming summer. So, if you apply in the spring, you cannot get the scholarship for that immediate summer, instead you would have to wait a full 12+ months and then you could do the summer duration. Pretty much useless because who the hell knows what they will be doing over a year in advance.