Chinese-Forums

Grammar: A is not (nearly) as good as B

ymillion

I find myself (way too) often using 比 and 比較 to for comparison. And it just occurred to me, I don't know how to do:

A is not as good as B

A (還)不如 B (好)

Does that work?

What about if I want to emphasize that A is much worse than B (inversely, B is much better than A).

A 不幾乎如 B (好)

謝謝!

There are lots of ways to do this. Some are used more in spoken language, others more in written language.

A好,B不好。

B没有A好。

B不如A。

B远不如A。

A比B好。

A比B好很多。

A好于B。

B逊于A。

B不能和A相提并论。

跟A相比,B就相形见绌。

Thanks for the replies.

It's interesting, my first reaction was to write: A 沒有 B 那麼好。

But I feel this is very casual/colloquial, so I wanted something a bit more appropriate for written. I also find that I get bored of hearing my own Chinese, because I tend to repeat certain patterns a lot, as those are what I know...

A 沒有 B 好 seems like a good safe choice for now. And Edita, I will admit I got that from google translate, which really shouldnt be spitting out classical chinese.

You can say both A 沒有 B 那麼好 and A 沒有 B 好, but note that they have different implications. The latter is more like a neutral statement "A is not as good as B", but it doesn't tell you anything about how good either A or B are, only that B is better than A. They might both be very good, or both be very bad. On the other hand, the 那麼 in A 沒有 B 那麼好 emphasises that B is exceptionally good, and just that A doesn't reach the same standard, although it may also be good.

• Like 1

Well, you shoud be carefull with Google translate. It's actually spitting all and everything, classical and non classical, because it's all in the same dictionary. And, as Google translate is a mashine, it's unable to make distictions.  :-?

Try Google search, and you probably won't find such expression. 

You can meet the expression (quite literary) 几乎 - nearly, almost, 如 - as; for ex. 几乎如新 almost like new.

But there is no 不几乎 in modern language, but only 几乎不 meaning "hardly ever, hardly seems"; 几乎不可能 - nearly impossible

不几乎 can be found in classical chinese, but there 几 and 乎 meanings are different.