Chinese-Forums

The 2015 Aims and Objectives Progress Thread

Meng Lelan

Yes, as usual , getting a jump start. Here are mine for 2015.

1. Read 三國演義 in the original along with the 3kingdoms podcast transcripts online. In between episodes study Rouzer's  New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese. Why I chose to read this in the original, I want to quote John Zhu of the 3kingdoms podcast:"The Chinese version of the novel can be difficult to understand at times because it's written in an archaic style. But there's a beautifully efficient and poetic rhythm to it as well. "

2.  Continue learning the forms for 南拳, 南棍,  南刀.

3. Visit friends in Taiwan for the December holidays in 2015. 

I'm fading in and out of the Chinese world for this coming year because my Real Goal in life now is to find a Real Career as an orientation and mobility instructor for the blind/deafblind somewhere that is top notch and top drawer ......and that's not going to be possible anywhere in San Antonio where I am now. So I am going to be out a lot, looking. 

Post away, everyone!

Admin edit: and here's some links to previous years

• Like 3

1. Save enough money to go back to China and study in a private school intensively for between one and two months.

2. Try to achieve greater parity between my reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.

3. Improve my level sufficiently that I'm able to watch a Chinese t.v show and understand the bulk of what is said.

4. Abandon perfectionism. (Nobody cares how well you can say 你好 if you can't say anything else).

5. Take and pass one of the HSK exams. HSK 3 would be acceptable, HSK 4 if possible.

• Like 4

This coming winter break, I am planning to prepare for 高二:

1. Review my 中二 books

2. Polish my grammar

3. Gain the Chinese accent and improve my 口语

4. Improve my 听力

5. Pass HSK 5 and 6 mock exams

Yeah, those are too broad so what I am really going to do is to record myself while practicing my 口语, listen to podcasts, to the audio of my books, and to native content. I am planning to post my essays on lang-8.com to have it checked by native speakers and review even the basic vocabularies. This time, I would make a lists of common things you would need everyday but your teacher did not teach you in 初级班 like parts of the body (lungs, knees, thigh, ankle, etc.), things to be found in the house (broom, faucet, etc) and so on.

Why am I going to do these things? Because I am maximizing my stay here in China and I am using this winter break to jump to 高二 from 中二 because 高一 will be just a review of 中二 and my progress would not be that big. Actually, my skills before I went to China was like 中一 but I chose to attend 中二 since I would like to challenge myself and I know my progress would be really big. So, when I attended our classes, I was giving double or triple effort compared to my classmates because sometimes, I did not know anymore what had been happening in our class! Fortunately, I think I really improved my Chinese here in Dalian but I am not still satisfied with my skills; so, I hope, I would be on that 高二 class next semester :D

祝大家成功!

• Like 4

1. Just make sure I am studying/using Chinese regularly and consistently (on a daily basis, no more of this 2-3 days go by and hey what happened? haven't used Chinese in a while...ERRR! :wall ) starting on 1-1 and going til 12-31 (and beyond!)

2. Apply for Chinese Government Scholarship for 2015-2016

3. Take HSK 5级 in the spring

4. Be enrolled and ready to go in a full-time one-year Chinese language program at a Mainland university on September 1, 2015

Good luck to all for your aims and objectives in 2015, the Year of the...BAAAAAAAH!...Sheep.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 3

Hey Imron,

Thanks, I'll heed your advice.

I tried watching a few episodes of 家有儿女 a while back and I was depressed to discover how little I could understand. Based on what you've said, it looks like if I'm serious about my goal, I will need to treat each episode as an object of study.

This whole learning a language thing is beginning to feel like a full time job: It's a good thing I enjoy it. Most of the time.

Regards,

John

P.S - Thanks Meng Lelan, that's the one. I could have sworn I originally chose 儿... haha

• Like 2

I will need to treat each episode as an object of study.

Yes!  The thing is, you could study for years and still find yourself depressed by how little you understand when you start to watch TV shows, when actually if you haven't been studying to watch TV shows then it should be no surprise that you are not good at it yet.

Practice what you want to get good at, do it regularly and consistently and eventually you'll start to get good at it.

• Like 3

starting on 1-1 and going til 12-31 (and beyond!)

Why not starting 12-30 (ie today)?

So let it be written, so let it be done.

12/30/2014~12/31/2015 (and beyond!)

This evening it will be studied.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 2

Become more proficient at giving work speeches in Chinese.  I need to get better at this... The best way is to keep doing them, but if anyone has any golden gems of advice I'm all ears.  The next speech I need to give is next week, then one in mid-January, followed by the Chinese New Year speech.

• Like 2

@Mr John

Have you seen 《爸爸去哪儿》. It is a reality show made by Hunan TV channel (or people call it Mango Channel 芒果台). It is a reality show about 5 celebrity fathers took their kids to spend 3 days in an isolated but beautiful village. I think it is easier to understand and fun to watch. 

• Like 1

My theme for 2015 is to achieve goals I couldn't manage in 2014.

1. Be able to understand clear 普通话 speech.

This is 2014's failed goal all over again. The difference is that I'm throwing everything I've got at making it happen, using suggestions people have given me in these forums, but also recognising what doesn't work and changing it quickly. It's also a critical goal to achieve if I'm going to make any conversational progress at all.

2. Learn the HSK 5 word list.

I started this in mid-2014 but my other goals took over, chiefly finishing a book (which I did). I'm flagging HSK 5 words that I see/hear in context and studying those first.

3. Pass an HSK level.

In 2014 I failed HSK 4 because I couldn't understand the audio. I need to do one of the following in 2015, in order of preference: (1) fix my listening and attempt HSK 5; (2) redo HSK 3 so I don't lose my 2013 accreditation; (3) resit HSK 4.

4. Extend my reading and listening chains to 400 days.

dontbreakthechain.com is my motivator here. If I continue to read for at least 15 minutes every day and listen for at least 15 minutes every day, I'll hit 400 unbroken days in both.

2014 wasn't a language write-off by any means, but that listening comprehension problem has set me back enormously. I need to conquer it in 2015. I'll also read a load more books, and I've enrolled in a university language diploma, so it could be my hardest-working year yet.

• Like 2