Chinese-Forums

What should I wear this next february in Beijing?

JorgeChau

Hi guys!

Im plannig to go to Beijing this february and take a tour to visit the Great Wall, the  Forbiden City , etc. As I know is very cold there and I think I've never been in a place with that cold weather. Do you think guys a leather jacket  (like the picture's) and wearing termals will be enough?

I hope you can help me guys! Thanks!

post-57199-0-16050700-1422062723_thumb.jpg

Feb will be from -10 [min] to 10 [max] degrees C according to the month weather forecast. This doesn't seem that different to this month.

I would say that leather jacket definitely isn't enough, unless you are from a cold place and are 'used to it'.

I am not so good with the cold, right now, if I go outside for a long time to do something I usually wear ... boots, wool socks, thermal pants, t-shirt, wool sweater, Parka coat (very thick), scarf, mittens (gloves make my fingers worse) and a hat.

If I were you I would at least buy a good fleece and wind breaker style jacket. You definitely need a hat, gloves, decent socks and thermals. For me, the fleece and windbreaker wouldn't be enough but it depends on the person and what you are going to be doing. Just walking around Beijing I'd personally want to wear more... at least in the current January weather.

• Like 3

I first arrived in China (Beijing) in February, a ridiculous number of years ago. 

The first full day, a couple of friends and I went to Tian An Men and were freezing. A couple of days later we were taken to the Wall. We were warned that it would be colder there, so we donned everything we possessed. When we got there we found beautiful sunshine and the mildest February day in memory. More on that here

But don't bank on your experience being the same. Your jacket won't be enough, The advice given above is all good.

Fortunately I lived in Moscow before I came to China so knew hold to deal with cold. Hat is essential. Gloves. Scarf. Thermals All of that, then some more.

• Like 2

If you don't have thermal pants/t-shirts then you pick them up in UNIQLO which, conveniently, has stores almost everywhere. I like their thermal pants because they add a good, warm layer without being too thick. My Chinese co-workers pretty much wear sweat pants under their jeans/pants.

• Like 1

That jacket is suitable for autumn or spring.  But not winter.

In the coldest times in Beijing if I am going to be outside, I wear thermal, shirt, sweater and overcoat, with gloves + scarf + beanie, plus big warm boots.

Long johns + jeans is generally OK.

If the wind really picks up and I'm outside I also have a face covering (or pull the scarf up around face).

• Like 1