Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship 2015/2016 - question ?

amar1921

I am not sure if this is best place, but I need answer urgently. 

I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina and I am finishing last year of high school (will finish in April) and I'm interested to apply for bachelor's degree program. I contacted Chinese Embassy here in Sarajevo, but they told me that they know nothing about it. I am not EU citizen, and I should apply for Bilateral program, but I am now fully confused. I don't even know how to start because here in embassy they didn't give me any informations. How can I get agency number or how can (or can I !?) I apply actually ?

The complete list of agency numbers can be found online... try to Google it. I apologize, I can't help you Google it because Google's blocked in China! :( If your embassy truly doesn't know much about it, would they be willing to help you out with the application nonetheless? What you need is an award letter from the embassy. This award letter has to be sent to CSC Beijing, either from the embassy itself or your host university.  As you are applying for a Bachelor's programme, this award letter is vital to the success of your application. I'm curious to know if you know others in the past from your country, who have been awarded the scholarship? If you do, perhaps they will be able to help you with the application process?

• Like 1

Hey,

Do you know if there are any scholarships offered to citizens of BIH?

I'm from Macedonia. When I was studying Chinese at my university (Skopje) a few years ago, my Chinese teacher told me that each year China offers scholarships to four students from Macedonia. The call for application and the application process itself went through our Ministry of Education and Science. I got it twice (2011 and 2013).  

Maybe BIH and China don't have this agreement. Are there any Chinese people teaching Chinese in Bosnia? Try the universities. If you find anyone, ask them if they know anything about a scholarship program from the Chinese Government. 

Another problem might be corruption. Even if there is an agreement between the two countries, maybe those scholarship spots are meant for 'special' students. In that case, people who don't have family connections (or who don't want to use BS like that), won't even hear about such opportunities. You should first make sure that there is an agreement and then apply. Our cultures are like that. It would not surprise me if embassy staff tried to hide it from you because their nephew is applying this year. Don't give up! 

Agency number means the number of the institution that is recommending you, it can be an embassy or a Chinese university. The problem with Chinese universities acting as recommending institutions is that they might prefer postgraduate students. 

There are other types of scholarships. In addition to Chinese universities acting as recommending agencies for The Chinese Government Scholarship, many universities have their own scholarships where the entire process goes through the university. Again, they might prefer PhDs, so you have to check first. 

Also, you can try the Shanghai Scholarship or similar programs offered by Chinese provinces. 

http://www.ues.rs.ba/lat/filozofski-fakultet/vijesti/zapazeni-rezultati-studenata-kineskog-jezika

Od osnivanja katedra je uspjela poslati ukupno 9 studenata u NR Kinu na jednogodišnje studije iz kineskog jezika, pod punom stipendijom Vlade NR Kine, uz veliku podršku Ambasade NR Kine u Bosni i Hercegovini.

I completely agree with you Angelina, I believe the CSC system is corrupt for many countries. They give the scholarships to people they know (esp. families and friends of local government staff). After all, it is the 'guanxi' culture of the Chinese and other countries.

I find it extremely hard to believe that Chinese embassies don't know about the scholarship.

Let me translate post #5 for you shuoshuo, 

The Department has successfully sent nine students in total to a one-year Chinese language course in the PRC, these students have received full scholarships granted by the Chinese Government, with generous support offered by the Chinese embassy in Bosnia and Herzegovina. 

Then read post #1.

• Like 1

@ shuoshuo

I found that list, but there isn't any number for my country. I will visit embassy at Monday and see with them. In previous years there was agreement between Bosnia and China and these scholarships were available for students from Bosnia.

@ Angelina

Thank you very much at these links. Contacting the Ministry can even be the problem here, because we don't have ministry for whole country (we have it for every district specially). Corruption is the biggest problem here, but I got used to and I won't definitely give up that easy. But the weirdest thing is that lady in embassy told me that she had never heard for this scholarships, but they were awarded in previous years, so she is probably lying, and embassy was included in everything

http://www.ues.rs.ba/en/faculty-of-philosophy/news/notable-results-of-chinese-language-students

Since its founding, the Department has managed to send a total of 9 students to the People's Republic of China for a year-long study of the Chinese language, under a full scholarship provided by the Government of China and with great support of the Embassy of China in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Thank you very much at these links. Contacting the Ministry can even be the problem here, because we don't have ministry for whole country (we have it for every district specially). Corruption is the biggest problem here, but I got used to and I won't definitely give up that easy. But the weirdest thing is that lady in embassy told me that she had never heard for this scholarships, but they were awarded in previous years, so she is probably lying, and embassy was included in everything

She was probably lying. I would not blame the entire embassy, there must be some nice people working there. Give them a chance. 

As I have said, I got this scholarship two times without pulling any strings. I really hate it when people do that. I don't want to judge anyone, but I can't understand those people who are pretending to be something they are not. I hope more smart kids from Bosnia and Macedonia will be given the chance to learn Chinese in the future. It should be about how qualified you are, not about how qualified your uncle is. Unless people change their way of thinking, we will stay developing countries forever and moving out of the country will continue to be seen as some kind of pinnacle of success. 

Try to talk to people from the University of East Sarajevo. I guess Republika Srpska (Република Српска како ми кажемо хаха) has close ties with China. There was something about a cooperation between them and Belgrade mentioned on the website. I don't like the Sarajevo/Источно Сарајево segregation anyway. Maybe you can try to talk to people from the Ministry of Education of Srpska too. 

@ Angelina

I sent an e-mail to Bosnian embassy in China today, so maybe they will have more informations. Also I will visit East-Sarajevo university at Monday, it's 15 minutes walk from my house.

And I have question about physical examination because I am Type 1 Diabetic (insulin dependent), and could I have the problems because of that ? My disease is really well controlled and I don't have any problems or complications, but sometimes happens that we are discriminated.

Don't worry about it. If you don't have any infectious diseases, everything will be fine.

BTW There is a lot of pollution in China. Read more about it before you decide to spend a few years here.