Chinese-Forums

Raise in Foreign Student Subsidies?

habote

My friend at Sichuan University said that they got the monthly stipend increase last month. She said they were even reimbursed the difference in payment for every month from last semester too! She is a graduate student, but I'm not sure that makes any difference as to when the increase is applied. Seems like they are starting to increase everyone's stipend though. 

My school mentioned we will get an allowance starting this month, 2500 for my bachelors and back payment. Now all of a sudden we are getting messages, about no more free water and electricity starting in a few days. Did anyone else school do this? They also say we will have to pay in the future for health insurance, books etc. Basically I have a feeling we will still get 1400 after all the monthly fees with all the new rules, how did your schools respond? I am in CCNU Btw. :-?

• Like 1

LadyFeroz - At my school they always charged us for utilities (water, electricity, and also internet).I know that some schools offer free internet and don't charge for utilities. School books don't cost much, it's a good thing that we only need to buy the books once each semester. So I think 2500 a month is better than 1400, even if we have to buy our own books (doesn't exceed 200 rmb per semester). The medical insurance still stands though.

At my school they charge us a fixed 50 rmb per month for water. They only charge us for electricity if we exhaust our monthly limit.

Btw, this month is almost over...have you received your back payment and raised allowance yet? Many of us in Shanghai are haven't seen the raised just yet.

My school mentioned we will get an allowance starting this month, 2500 for my bachelors and back payment. Now all of a sudden we are getting messages, about no more free water and electricity starting in a few days. Did anyone else school do this? They also say we will have to pay in the future for health insurance, books etc. 

Did you read new rules? According to them it's okay.

Where can we read the new rules Emmanuel? 

Oh, come on. http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=2070 However, according to it, scholarship covers medical insurance.  

They also say we will have to pay in the future for health insurance

Are u sure about it? May be you misunderstood them.  You should ask them again and show them official rules.

谢谢你们!好久不见 @shuoshuo !  :lol: 

Well someone came to speak in our language class and this is what they told us, starting at the end of this month (or early April) we will receive our back pay and our new fee.

Backpay will be around 7000RMB and plus this month scholarship we are receiving just over 10 000RMB.

However we now have to pay for water and electricity, and he estimated it at 200RMB per roommate a month, (I am a bachelors student so I share my room) and basically said to negotiate with each other,  :nono  knowing how my school operates, ha I have seen roommates throw luggage outside the windows.  :lol:  So this might not end well if some refuse to pay.

And they mentioned they will immediately cut off the electricity and water on the first of April. :wall But we cannot purchase in advance.. (queueing basically),

And starting from next year we will be required to buy textbooks, which worried me, because, I was comparing it to the price of university textbooks in my country.

We will also start paying for our own health insurance, which costs 650RMB.

Thank you guys again for your responses.

LadyFeroz - Haha, yes...好久不见!The CSC clearly states that medical insurance is still covered so I think it's unfair if they charge you for it. School books in China are cheap, they usually cost around 20-50 rmb per book. You can buy used books from seniors (some will give you their books for free), I have friends who photocopy entire books. I buy extra books online, they are cheaper. If you don't want to buy the books, you can download them online or use a tablet and scan the important pages. Some schools offer books at discounted prices, even up to 50 percent off.

I was told that we will not be back paid for September 2014 (possibly because we received the one-time extra 1500 that they will no longer offer students). Still, I think the extra 1100 will be useful.

However we now have to pay for water and electricity, and he estimated it at 200RMB per roommate a month, (I am a bachelors student so I share my room) and basically said to negotiate with each other,   :nono  knowing how my school operates, ha I have seen roommates throw luggage outside the windows.   :lol:  So this might not end well if some refuse to pay.

200RMB per/person? What a nonsense! My friends in 哈工大 spend 50 RMB per/person every month. 

I think she meant 200 per 2 people. Well, I hope that's what she meant. I pay about 100 rmb every month for utilities. I remember paying extras when I had a roommate, because I left my computer on all the time, 24/7. So I offered to pay for 100% of our utilities. But my roommate refused my offer.

It is the last Friday of the month and I've not received any notice of the increase.

Hello everyone, students here in Fudan 复旦 received the 6 months payback subsidy, As a masters degree student i received 10800 in total, 1300 yuan increased * 6 months which equals 7800 yuan in total, plus 3000 for march subsidy.

We have been informed that starting from April we have to pay for our electricity fee, there's no more books fee every new semester. it is expected to pay around 125 yuan monthly if we want to buy 200 kilowatt which is the amount we used to be covered monthly by the scholarship.

Shanghai Government Scholarship have also confirmed to raise the subsidy starting from April, so its a good news for other scholarships students that they might get the raise too.

• Like 2

200RMB per/person? What a nonsense! My friends in 哈工大 spend 50 RMB per/person every month. 

The amount depends on the university, the only thing we know for now is that our electricity fees will not be covered by the CGS. I remember I used to buy coins when doing my laundry back in Beijing, I can do it for free here, same scholarship. 

Ha, that warrants a student protest....

lol  :P

Good news amb62

The amount depends on the university

Why? Quality of electricity depends on the university?  :lol:  Anyway, electricity bill cannot be too different. The most suitable solution is electricity meter, if you don't have it, yep, they can deceive you. 

Some universities even let foreign students pay for hot water (the shower water) which is absolute hell. 100 or 200 rmb for electricity is no big deal. As long as they don't charge me for hot shower water I'll be happy.