Chinese-Forums

[Very beta] Test run of upgraded forum software

roddy

Have you maybe accidentally got switched between BBCode and WYSIWYG by hitting the lightswitch icon at top left of the editor? Or it might be a javascript oddity that has been sorted out thanks to a reload. Dunno. Fairly sure I didn't break nothin'. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been checking it out a bit (but without actually signing in)... Is there anyway to mitigate the problem which I think this forum now has with upvoting? That is, I really like upvoting because it helps make good responses more visible. However some people use it in the way that the "like" button is used on facebook - if someone says a witticism or whatever (I'm sure I'm guilty of this too). I think roddy mentioned this a while back in some feedback forum. Anyways, any ideas on how to solve this issue?

What if there was a "like" button, as well as a "helpful" button? If one wanted to show appreciation for a witticism or whatever, they could just click "like"... I don't know - I just think that there's value in rating the helpfulness of a post that shouldn't be conflated with how funny it is or whatever.

• 6 months later...

Seeing @roddy post a thread where he wasn't sure which subforum it should go under got me thinking about this...

Not sure how easily implementable this would be on ipboard or xenforo, but what about using tags instead of subforums? That way you could have a thread about the use of the particle 咗 that's tagged as "grammar" but also "Cantonese". Then, by default, you'd have various groupings and headings shown on the homepage. One of these might be the heading "Grammar" under the grouping "Mandarin Chinese", and it would contain all posts tagged with "grammar" but excluding the tags "Cantonese", "classical Chinese", and "other dialects" (so the 咗 thread wouldn't show up there).

There would also be the option to search by tags and combinations of tags, and the option for registered accounts to change the groupings and headings shown on their personalized homepage (so user Canto4lyf888 gets to hide the Mandarin Chinese grouping and replace it with a Cantonese one of her own design). Of course, for polymaths and promiscuous people, they'd still be able to show all threads chronologically, regardless of tags.

Existing posts to be migrated would get automatically tagged with whatever tag/combination of tags best fits their current placement.

• Like 2

One thing I'd really like is for the Latest Posts section to appear or be duplicated on the Forum tab rather than or as well as the Home tab (this could on the Forums tab replace or at least appear above the Recent Blog Entries or Recent Status Updates stuff surely). I've lost count of the number of times I see an interesting thread or post, then (unsurprisingly) can't amidst all the subforums find or come back to it a bit later, and so have no option to go back to the Home rather than the Forums tab to stand any chance of finding it among the Latest Posts.