Chinese-Forums

Exchange studies in Beijing this term, internship in Shanghai in summer

johny1234

• New Members
Hello!

I am currently on exchange studies in Tsinghua University in Beijing (computer science, bachelor's degree) until the end of this term. I have already been here for one term, coming in on an X2 visa, but decided to extend my stay for another term and I now have a residence permit with purpose of study, issued in Beijing, until the end of July.

I have successfully applied for a software engineering internship in Shanghai with a recognized multinational company for two months during the summer, after my exchange studies are finished. The big question mark that remains now is with regards to my visa.

The internship is paid, but I am willing to do it unpaid if that is what it takes (hopefully at least living expenses and travel cost can be covered?)

Usually for this internship program, the students are recruited in my home country (i.e. not in China, but in Europe), then they get officially employed by the company so that they can apply for a business visa (I assume M-visa) for the duration of the two month internship. However, they told me that given my background of already having a residence permit and studying in China, this method might not work (why is this?).

They are willing to relocate me to another country, which I am fine with, however I really want to experience living in Shanghai since I am considering moving to China, and I was extremely excited about it, so I just want to make sure that I exhaust every possibility before giving up on this. What alternatives do I have? Will changing this to an unpaid internship make it easier?

Thanks for all advice in advance!