Chinese-Forums

Mass Generation of Monolingual Definitions from .cvs file

uni419

Do you mean, you have a list of Chinese words in one column of a csv file,

and you want to output a csv file with the words in one column, and the Chinese definitions in another column?

I don't know any tool that does this. But if you have a C-C dictionary file in text format, it should not be difficult to create a small program to read the words, search the dictionary, and output the entries...

For instance if you wanted entries from CEDICT, it would be a simple matter of selecting the input column with sed or awk (there are examples of csv column selection on the internet), grep-ing the word in the CEDICT file to obtain the definition line, etc. But CEDICT is not monolingual.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that 现代汉语规范词典 is included in the dictionary app in OSX (since I have it as well and I've never installed/imported any external dictionaries), you just have to manually enable it (and maybe download it, I don't remember).

• Like 1

Ah, cool. So circling back around to the original topic, lets say I wanted to do a pull request on around 3-4k of words, with split definitions, example sentences and part of speech exported to a csv. Import file is also a cvs. Dictionary used is the copy of 现代汉语规范词典 which is apparently included with OSX, does anyone know how I'd either

A.) How to do that (guessing unlikely)

B.) Where I can find resources to educate myself enough to hack some together myself (feeling this is probably more likely) 

?

If you can get the dictionary as a CSV format, you could do it in Excel.  

=VLOOKUP(column of 3-4k words, table of dictionary, column # of definition in dictionary, TRUE) should do the trick.

• Like 1