Chinese-Forums

Where to go after studying in China

Angelina

Edited

I have been thinking what to do with my life. So far the only good idea is a desert island. I don't want to live in China, I don't want to live in a banana republic (home), I don't want to live in a country where most people have more money than I do, I also don't want to live somewhere where people will think I must be super rich just because of my passport.
Suggestions?

Maybe I should disregard the country and do the things I am interested in doing.

How did you decide where to go?

Hey Angelina,

I know that feeling - things can seem very uncertain when you aren't sure where you are going.

I think you are right to first consider what you want to do and then look at where to do it.

I never really decided and have been in China for some time. I think long term I will return to my 'imperialist country' but being in China works for me at the moment and allows me to improve Chinese and general China knowledge which is what I am looking for.

In terms of what you want to do - what interests you?

Maybe the words I am using are too harsh. Try to mentally translate what I say into something more politically correct.

There is nothing wrong with rich countries, who wouldn't want to live in an affluent society where there is plenty of food? The thing is, I don't want to be an immigrant. If I go to, let's say the US, I will be an immigrant and locals will see me as inferior.

I also don't want to be an expat. If I go to Taiwan, I will be one.

Hm. Maybe all people would choose to be an expat when forced to decide. I guess I am not an exception, it's natural.

I want to continue with my studies. The best thing for me is to find a good, stimulating environment and people who share my interests.

@emmanuel I have options, I just don't know what to choose. Maybe Mars hahahaha

How about Singapore?

It is too small to be considered imperialist, and it depends on trade with people from all around the world, matching willing buyers with willing sellers. The standard of living there is not too bad, and English and Mandarin is spoken there.

If you are saying that you don't want to be an immigrant or an expat, I don't know what advice to give you. You said that your home country is under American influence and you don't want to live there. Everywhere else you will be a migrant or expat.

Singapore? Are you sure? A lot of expays refer to it as a ghetto of millionaires. And if you're not into business, then it's not a good place to live.

Angelina, did you go to China because you originally didn't know what to do with your life? Did you have any dreams or something to achieve? How did they work out so far?

Place countries or cities in a big Venn diagram of your ideal lifestyle, society, culture, job market, geography etc. See what falls in the middle.

I would be careful painting with a broad brush though. Take Beijing for example. You can live a completely different lifestyle living in a hutong than you would living 15 minutes away in an apartment in Guomao.

• Like 1

Maybe I should disregard the country and do the things I am interested in doing.

What are you interested in doing?

I want to continue with my studies. The best thing for me is to find a good, stimulating, environment and people who share my interests.

What field or subject are you studying? What interests would you like to be able to share?

Copenhagen, Denmark is a great place to live. We pay high taxes but hey, we've got free healthcare and free education.  :lol:

But anyway, i think what you are going through now is what most people are going through after a few years in China. I already see myself ask the exact same question when im done studying in a few years. I guess you just have to follow your heart. If it feels wrong, don't do it! 

But if you don't want to go home, but at the same time don't want to be an expat or immigrant then it might be a bit difficult. 

I agree with emmanuel that US is where you will probably feel less like an immigrant, compared to many other countries. 

US is a country of immigrants, nobody cares about where you came from. People there value your experience and background or money.

All my American friends tell me how all their maids back home are Eastern European. I am not saying I will never live there, I don't want to be a maid. 

I would be careful painting with a broad brush though. Take Beijing for example. You can live a completely different lifestyle living in a hutong than you would living 15 minutes away in an apartment in Guomao.

You forgot the 地下  people. 

Yup, I should think about my own lifestyle. It's not about geography that much. 

Angelina, did you go to China because you originally didn't know what to do with your life? Did you have any dreams or something to achieve? How did they work out so far?

I wanted to learn Mandarin. It has been fine so far. I am not sure how good my Mandarin is, but I can definitely say that I can talk to Chinese people with ease.

I'm studying linguistics (master's degree). Almost everyone around me is Chinese. It was good for my Mandarin and this was the reason why I came here, so I can't complain. I'm not sure if I want to stay here though. 

Home is where your dog is 

homeiswhereyourdogis.jpg

Copenhagen, Denmark is a great place to live. We pay high taxes but hey, we've got free healthcare and free education.   :lol:

Maybe. I like a lot of research work done in Denmark. Heard great things about Aarhus too. How are immigrants treated there? 

If you don't want to be an expat and don't want to be an immigrant, returning home is the only option you have left.

I've never lived in the US, but to my knowledge there are all kinds of vastly different environments there. Some immigrants become cleaning ladies, others become ministers or professors, and yet others just find some decent job and live a regular life. Some Americans only know fellow born-and-bred Americans, others have only international friends. Also, have you considered Canada? A friend who went there told me how everyone there has an immigration story and is proud of it. Even people who are born there like to tell about their parents or grandparents and where they were from. Of course, this probably doesn't go for all areas in Canada.

I was going to say, Have you considered Taiwan? But it's America-influenced, its politics are messy and childish and you're correct that you would forever be an immigrant there. So perhaps not.

As others already asked: what are you interested in? What would you like to do with your life?

• Like 3

Maybe. I like a lot of research work done in Denmark. Heard great things about Aarhus too. How are immigrants treated there?

I'm from Aarhus. Come by one day and i will take you around.

How are immigrants treated there?

To be honest, it could be better. It is a problem here that because of our welfare system (basically everything is free here + if you don't have a job the government will give you around 8000 RMB per month after tax to live for), many people want to come here to get that money, without working. 

This means that some danish people look at foreigners with some scepticism. But my girlfriend is Chinese and she absolutely loves it here. She never felt like an outsider here and she wants to settle here.

• Like 1

As others already asked: what are you interested in? What would you like to do with your life?

I want to study. 

Canada is a great idea. One of my favorite linguists in the world works there. 

Also, an immigrant from Macedonia (well, he is not exactly an immigrant, more second generation, and not exactly ethnic Macedonian either- welcome to the crazy Balkans) has a restaurant in Denmark (Noma). I won't be missing out on the food either. 

but 

many people want to come here to get that money, without working.

Exactly. Then, many of those people are from Bulgaria, Romania, Macedonia, Kosovo... It might create certain tensions among locals. Why would I want to add one more immigrant? Danish people have been trying hard to have a nice welfare system. 

My friend is in Aarhus now  :P  It's a small world. 

for some strange reason I think you'd like the US. You should come and give it a try.

Maybe. 

I want to study.

Ok. Unless you want to learn more Chinese, China or Taiwan is not the best place to do that. What subject(s) would you like to study? And do you have an idea which direction you'd like to take after studying?

If I'm not mistaken, Noma is the Most Famoustest Restaurant in All of the World, and probably has the prices to match. Eating there on a student budget might be a problem. If you want to eat Macedonian, you either need to learn how to cook it yourself or go to a place with a sizable Macedonian immigrant population.

Also, an immigrant from Macedonia (well, he is not exactly an immigrant, more second generation, and not exactly ethnic Macedonian either- welcome to the crazy Balkans) has a restaurant in Denmark (Noma). I won't be missing on the food either. 

wow. I thought that guy was danish but now that i look at his name, it does not sound very danish to me. I heard you should book the table like one year in advance though so you might get started with that already ;)

My friend is in Aarhus now   :P  It's a small world. 

again - wow! The world is small indeed. 

PhD in linguistics

Maybe I can open my own restaurant on the side. If Rene Redzepi could do it lol (This is a joke though)