Chinese-Forums

Looking for responses to my short survey, and I will post research results!

dsb_research

• New Members
Hi guys and girls, I hope this an acceptable topic for this forum. I am an undergraduate economics student and I am conducting research for a course on China's economic development. I will explain a little more below, but here are some links for you:

These two (very short) surveys are the basis for my research I am conducting for the class this semester. Ideally, I would like to get a statistically significant sample of people to take it, which means I need a lot of samples. I am located in the US, so I don't have a hard time finding people in my country to take it, but... I don't have an easy way of collecting many samples of people who originated in another country. As you can see on the forms, I am most interested in people who either currently live in China, or were born in China and moved at some point in their life, but I am accepting responses from people of all backgrounds. I am trying to see if I can use discussion boards on the internet to source enough participants. If you would take it, I would be greatly appreciative, and you would be helping people learn how cultural background can have an affect on economic, sociological, and psychological processes.

Additionally, if you know anyone born in China who either still lives there or has moved, if you could pass this on to them (or post it on a website that has a large population of people with this background), I would be very excited to get the data!

Lastly, I will post the results, including the paper the results will be a part of, here on this forum, or I can send it to you personally if you send me an email address via private message. This way you can see what the research was about and how it might affect the field of economics, psychology, and sociology. This should happen sometime in mid-April. If you think I should put this on another sub-forum on this site that might be more appropriate, I would love to hear about it so I can follow the local e-preferences!

Thanks for reading, you guys and girls are awesome, and I hope you take the survey and are interested in the results!

Why are the two surveys the same?

Maybe it has been edited in between but now they are different, This is a standard experiment designed to show that adding an extra option may push people to choose the more expensive option. I think however that it's not meant that survey takers are shown both versions leave alone that they fill out both surveys.

• New Members

Thanks for the input, I am completely unfamiliar with what sites are blocked in China. Luckily, as far as I can tell, another commonly used site isn't blocked. You can view the surveys here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K9WJ3QZ

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K97L7TR

I posted both here right now (and above) to see if it was OK to even post surveys. Some sites have communities that are very much against this type of activity. The user Silent is correct in that it is to measure the difference in answers between two very similar questions. Many people answer the questions differently and I am merely checking to see if that holds true across cultures and nations, or the degree to which it holds true. I probably won't get enough responses to get a statistically significant result, but I am trying to get as many as possible from both the US, China, and elsewhere. Such is the difficulty of an undergraduate doing research on their own.

If everything looks good in these, I'm going to post them both here for people to take over the next week. In the main thread I create, I won't list both surveys, but only one. Also, if you know of any other forums which are commonly populated by people of Chinese backgrounds of some nature, please point me in the direction of them!

Thanks!

Many people answer the questions differently and I am merely checking to see if that holds true across cultures and nations, or the degree to which it holds true.

I don't think you're going to get any useful results. The two surveys should be filled out seperately without awareness that there are two versions. With the surveys in English you're surely not going to reach the average Chinese. In contrary, you will get responses of very a-typical Chinese. What's the use of the conclusion that typical americans compared to a-typical Chinese give the same/different answers?