Chinese-Forums

Opportunity for free home-stay in Jinhua, Zhejiang

Arlo_

There is an opportunity for people interested in Chinese culture to stay for free in a historical village in Jinhua, Zhejiang this summer or autumn. (All expenses within China will be paid, and a cultural programme is being laid on. Participants travel to Shanghai at their own expense.)

I live in Jinhua, and I have been helping the local government with the project. The ultimate aim is to support village economies by opening them up for home-stay tourism. That will help to keep the villages viable, and so help preserve their old buildings and atmosphere.

To start the project up, they are offering the free home-stays. Participants can have a three-week, authentic home-stay experience in a historical village, and learn about Chinese culture. In return they will be asked to do some publicity tasks, social networking and so on, thereby making their own contribution to preserving the original atmosphere and old buildings of the villages.

I totally support the project partly because I love the traditional culture of the villages, but also because the project has the strong support of villagers. It's definitely not a 'top-down' initiative!

Website in English describing the project:

http://www.jinhua-homestay.com

Description on Jinhua Government website:

http://english.jinhua.gov.cn/art/2015/2/3/art_5808_497900.html

The application deadlines are:

April 15th (for summer session)

July 31st (for autumn session)

@studychinese

I’m not sure if you have a specific concern, or you’re just joking.

I have met people connected with the project at various levels of city government and in the villages. All I can say is that, in my opinion, there is absolutely no doubting their total sincerity.

If you do have an actual concern, maybe I can try to answer it :-)

I don't know anything about this specific programme / offer but in general principle anything free needs to be examined very closely before it is agreed to. 

For example there are free ski holidays. But when you arrive you face hard sell tactics to buy overpriced properties. 

I remember that in Korea there was a 'free camp' for foreigners. When the foreigners arrived they were expected to teach Korean kids English. Teach English... For free. 

So look very closely into anything that is free. This is 'home stay', right? Then check to see if the home stays have school aged children. It could be a bait and switch to have a free English teaching slave living together. 

Think about it. Free stuff almost never comes with no strings attached. 

• Like 2

Oh, I see what you mean. Of course you are right to be cautious.

I did mention in my original post that the organisers are, indeed, asking for something in return. They want participants to do some publicity tasks, social networking and so on, in order to publicise the project.

But it’s definitely not a scam. I hope the link to the description on the government website will go some way towards reassuring you about that. And if you decide to contact the organisers, you will be talking directly to someone with a government email address.

By the way, in case you are wondering, I have absolutely no financial interest in this. In fact, I have donated a lot of my time to the project, free, because I think it’s so worthwhile.

I get the feeling this is all very above board. They spell out the contributions you're expected to make very explicitly on the website (see quoted text below), and are transparent about the motive of raising the villages profile as well. To me this seems like a very unique idea on behalf of the local government, which implemented correctly could have some excellent benefits for all involved. Unfortunately won't be able to participate in either session, but hope that all goes well!

5. Schedule

As well as the opportunity to experience life in the village in which participants are staying, the three-week program will include visits to other historical villages and places of interest. Participants will be expected to spend some time working on tasks relevant to the project (see below). There will be a concluding event and a project evaluation. A certificate of participation will be provided, recognising the individual contribution of each participant to the project. There will be one day each week of free time. Transport will be provided for those who wish to visit Jinhua city. Visits to other places of interest will be arranged on some days. There will be a schedule for the other days.

The following is an example of a typical such day:

07:30-08:30 Breakfast
08:30-11:30 Cultural Experience, such as Making Handicraft / Playing a Chinese Traditional Musical Instrument / Paper-cutting / Making Tofu / Making rice-wine / Basket- weaving / Making Dumplings
11:30-13:00 Lunch
13:00-14:00 Break
14:00-17:00 Work on Project Tasks
17:00-18:30 Dinner
18:30-20:30 Salon / Social Time

7. Tasks
  1. Design a map of the villages or a tourist pamphlet (including transportation details), translate street signs of the villages; translate relevant historical information; provide advice about the development of home-stay tourism in the villages.
  2. Provide writing suitable for publication, about the experience, including impressions on the local customs, folk tales, styles of architecture and the surroundings.
  3. Give feedback about the home-stay accommodation, make recommendations about how to develop a foreigner-friendly home-stay environment, based on basic plans already existing.
  4. Design a tourist promotional website for an overseas readers.
  5. Create artworks, using photos and/or other media, related to and/or representing the traditional villages.

• Helpful 1

Arlo got in touch before hand and I didn't see any problem with the program. I can easily imagine there being SNAFUs with any new program involving a Chinese local government, and personally the idea of being the guest of a local tourist board is not attractive, but I can see it being a fun experience for someone younger and less... like me. Especially if you have any interest in working in tourism or marketing, I guess. 

"Free stuff almost never comes with no strings attached. "

They've listed the strings, what more do you want...

• Like 1

They've listed the strings, what more do you want...

The price of an ordinary stay in order to judge or the strings are worth the savings :P

I'm too much of a hobo to commit to three weeks in one place out of a (max) 6 week vacation. To me the offer looks very reasonable, specially for people on a long low budget trip. Looks like an attractive opportunity .to save money and at the same time get a worthwhile experience.

I agree, this looks an excellent proposition for those looking at a low budget and extremely rich Chinese cultural experience. I'm seriously tempted. Though i must say i still probably prefer crazy Miao people of Xijiang Miaozhai. 

If anyone signs up please do be sure to let us know how it goes! 

Ben,

Sounds pretty good to me. I mean, you get to play traditional musical instruments, basket weaving and so on - not the kind of thing a foreigner would easily be able to experience. I'd seriously consider it if I had the time.

studychinese makes a good point though. Apart from the advertised "strings", I could well imagine the host family having a kid and expecting the guest to teach English for free to the kid.

• Like 1

I understand the concern about being asked to teach someone’s child, but I really don’t think you need to worry about that.

Firstly, although the programme is free to participants, the villagers offering the home-stays will be paid by the project. They won’t be expecting anything ‘in return’.

Secondly, the project is really well-organised. In the unlikely event that someone did ask you, you could just have a word with one of the organisers, who would help you deal with it.

• Helpful 1

Secondly, the project is really well-organised. In the unlikely event that someone did ask you, you could just have a word with one of the organisers, who would help you deal with it.

In theory, yes, but it would make staying in that person's home very awkward.

And that is assuming the organizers sympathise with the guest. It's easy to imagine the organisers thinking the ungrateful guest is making a fuss over nothing. After all, isn't teaching English basically what foreigners are in China for?

Changing the subject slightly, I must be honest and say it’s not impossible that someone, somewhere will try to practise their English with you. As any Westerner who lives here knows, that can happen to anyone, anywhere. I know some Westerners don’t like it, or find it worrying, but personally I don’t mind.

When a stranger wants to practise their English to me, I try to use it as an opportunity to give that person a positive experience of meeting a Westerner. Unless I’m really busy, I have a short talk with them, then politely end the conversation and move on.

Little interactions like that can be good fun, and occasionally they lead on to being invited into someone’s house, or other interesting experiences.

• Like 1

You won't, because I won't be taking part, so I don't need reassuring.

Like I said, it sounds like a great offer, and I would consider it under the right circumstances.

For anyone who's seriously thinking of participating though, it's only common sense to take into account things that might turn out the be different from what one had expected.

• Like 1

I am from a place where tourism is a big deal and people in the area are doing everything possible to promote the place (the economy depends on tourism, people's lives are enhanced because of the thriving industry). As a foreigner living in China, it's easy to become frustrated when you meet 'yet another' person who wants to practice their English with you, but there's always that opportunity to practice Chinese with the locals too. It doesn't ever have to be a one-way street type of friendship.

Plus, only a percentage of "Westerners" speak proper English so let's face it, the locals are the ones getting the shorter end of the stick.

Even inconvenient and awkward situations can be a cherished memory, I believe this type of experience would be amazing.