Chinese-Forums

Book of the month on Reddit

chialtism

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a look at the link but didn't really understand what Reddit is all about and how to use it. I like the idea of reading a book and sharing but haven't really got any idea how to go about it.

Maybe for my benefit and other newbies maybe you could explain what it is all about, how to download the books, how to participate and so on.

It might encourage more participation.

Reddit is a collection of discussion boards like chinese-forums, although I think subforums ("subreddits") only go down one level. /r/chinesebookclub is the subreddit that chialtism moderates. It seems that .epub and .mobi files are posted for each book of the month, so you don't need to buy them.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for continuing to push this, chialtism. I haven't finished any of the books posted but I always take a look at them. I know 三体 will simply be too much for me, though. 

I like it when you also post intermediate books because those are ones I can actually read. I've gotten a decent way into 小布头 and have enjoyed the story. 

@Shelley: you could very well join reddit and take part in just the book club. You don't have to be "active" on it as a whole. In fact, that sounds impossible. The scale of reddit relative to any forum is immense. The quality of the content is often not as high as what you'll find on these forums, too. Some exceptions are on heavily moderated subreddits like reddit.com/r/science 

Dude, thanks for the motivation on this. I've had this on the to do list forever.

What I'm doing:

Using the audio over at ximaliya - http://www.ximalaya.com/8119988/album/248611

Using the text over here - http://www.51shucheng.com/kehuan/santi

Using the kindle version of Ken Liu's translation as a crutch esp. for the science / technical / historical bits. It's $2.50 and worth it, imo. Straight forward and very accurate translation. And perfect for full sentence and phrasing crosschecks.

The ximaliya starts with part 2 chp 4, I'm thinking this is actually a better overall start to the story than the text Part 1, chp 1. 

As others have mentioned, this will take longer than a month, particularly as I can see myself pushing through with books 2 and 3.

Worth splitting off a dedicated thread? 

(Your first link doesn't work)

$2.50 for the English version is a steal. I guess the price depends on the region your amazon user is set to, because it's $9 when I check it (which is still rather cheap).

I agree that starting of with the 科学边界-chapter is much better than starting the story with the the cultural revolution, although it seems that was the original ordering of the chapters per Ken Liu's answer in the AMA I mentioned on Reddit.

Worth splitting off a dedicated thread? 

You are always welcome to take it to Reddit :)