Chinese-Forums

Foreign medical examination in Canada

Med

• New Members

Hello everyone.

I applied recently for the chinese scholarship at China consulate in Montreal. They send me an email asking me for a copy of the foreign medical examination before April 20. I'm not sure where to get it filled. I'm really not sure what to do with it or where to start. How much does it usually take for the whole examination including lab tests?

I went to a clinic they told me that it'll cost around $200 to get it filled. It's the first time I got asked to pay something at a clinic.

Thanks

I was always under the impression that the medical examination was part of the set materials required to apply in the first place, so I've never heard of this precise situation, but here goes:

1. In a country like Canada, where the distinction between a public and private practice has more to do with the subtlties of the single-payer public health insurance than accreditation and quality of service, any doctor's office will do.  In other countries, this might not be so straightforward.  I got the tests done at my university's on campus clinic, here in Toronto, with a couple needing to be done via requisition elsewhere; but any walk-in clinic or GP should do.
  2. The process took me about six weeks, start to finish, as while the tests themselves are pretty quick to administer, some results take longer than others to get back from the lab.  There may be ways to expedite this, but the additional cost may not be covered by your Provincial health insurance. Given that you have less than two weeks, I would get on this ASAP, and go for whatever gets you the fastest turn around time.
  3. Mine cost $60 in total, which covered all tests not deemed "medically necessary."  For example, the physical itself and the doctor's filling out the form were "elective", and therefor out-of-pocket expenses.  However, the portions deemed "medically necessary" included blood type (if you don't already know it), STD/HIV (the check box indicating that you're sexually active determines the test's medical necessity), MMR/tetanus/etc boosters (excluding the Hepatitis B/C combo) were all FREE.  Many supplemental health insurance plans will allow one free checkup/physical per year, so it's worth looking into if you're covered.
  4. My test included both a skin TB test and a chest x-ray.  When you request this, don't be surprised if the doctor responds with a more polite version of "WTF?", and some serious convincing that the test is indeed required.  These forms are designed to be used worldwide, and include a few questions/diseases which are quite simply over-the-top in most developed countries.
  5. Remember to have the doctor's office stamp/seal each page, including one stamp/seal which covers part of your already affixed photograph on page one.  This may not be necessary, but considering how much Chinese bureaucracy loves official/notary seals on documents it can't possibly hurt.
Good luck :)

• Like 1

• New Members

Thanks m000gle for the complete answer. This is really helpful. $60 seems more reasonable, especially it is just to fill up the form since most of the other lab tests should be provided free of charge, if not they are covered by my university insurance plan. I'm gonna ask another walk-in clic today, and ask the consulate for more time.

Did you have to do it again in China?

And you may have to do it all over again in China, anyway. - liuzhou
Did you have to do it again in China? - Med

In my case, that, thankfully, wasn't necessary.  However, there were a few friends who did need to re-take the test, typically for one of the following reasons:
  1. They did not retain a copy of the documents.  If you don't retain a copy of the documents, while the sponsoring agency and China Scholarship Council may be confident of your good health, there is nothing for the doctor to verify upon registration at the university itself.
  2. The medical documents were incomplete.  Dot the i's and cross the t's; make sure every section has been filled out.
  3. The documents had expired.  A medical such as this is considered valid for (I think) six months from the date the doctor signs.  With some applications submitted to the CSC as early as the December prior to a fall entry, this happens more often than you would think.

There is no particular harm in being forced to redo the tests in China; but it is nice to avoid the hassle.