Chinese-Forums

any recent past ACC China summer graduates here?

Wahed

I have been accepted into the ACC China summer program for 2015 and I was wondering if anyone here has successfully finished this program in the last 4-5 years? Can you please share you experience here?

Specifically, I would like to get information on what to study now in advance because I do not like studying every single night for 4-5 hours in addition to studying for four hours during the day. Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

@uni419 - Thank you! Any info you can squeeze out of him that is not in the handbook would be great but most important is the information about what we will study there. If he still has his Memrize, Quizlet, etc. study tools to share that would help tremendously. I hear that students learn 60 new words and grammar a day so if I can learn them all before hand then I can it a bit easier after I arrive.

actually there are two different pages on the hamilton website

https://www.hamilton.edu/china/handbook

https://www.hamilton.edu/china/student-handbook

the 2nd one has a list of textbooks, as well as ideas for pre-departure activities, and a list of suggested reading at the end.

So which level were you placed in, and which textbook will you be using, and what material did you receive?

Do you intend to learn to read and write all the vocabulary in your textbook before you go to ACC?

I am not sure which level I will be at yet but I have a good hunch that it will be intermediate and not advanced.

I have both the "Crossing Paths" and "Shifting Tides" books. I will go through them but I am not sure if it is realistic for me to expect to be able to write them all before I arrive there. I will definitely try though. Rather, my immediate goal is to be able to understand them if spoken and hopefully recognize them if written.

After I started reading the first exercise page of one of the textbooks, I immediately was aware of the teaching style that ACC employs. I have received similar training before.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...