Chinese-Forums

mental health and general health in China

Coffe4Me

• New Members

Hello Everyone,

I am considering applying for work in China. I am 54 years old, male, in good physical condition. I have a master's in TEFL and have been teaching for close to 25 years.

I have been taking anti-depressants since 1997, as well as medication for hypothyroidism. The latter requires a visit to an endocrinologist every 3-4 months for blood tests and a prescription of a synthetic thyroid hormone T4. I am more concerned about the former condition since I am interested in teaching in the rural areas where the pollution is not so bad. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Coffe4Me

If I were you I would be looking into relatively well-developed cities in China that have good air quality. That is the only way you'll be able to meet your medical requirements, while avoiding pollution.

Some cities in China that have good air quality are:

Kunming

Haikou

Xiamen

Chengdu

Nanchang

Guiyang

Taipei

That being said, you would still need to do some research on the ground before you make the decision to move there considering your condition. You would need to find out if there are any hospitals which have endocrinology departments and can conduct the tests you require. As for the medication, I imagine you'd be able to buy in bulk before you move, should it be unavailable in China. Good luck!

• Like 1

You need to consider how stable you are with regards to these underlying conditions. Hypothyroidism relatively straightforward. You provide fewer details on why you take antidepressants and whether the underlying condition is stable or not.

Medicines in China have different packaging and perhaps a different formulation or from a different company. So your particular antidepressant may or may not be easily obtainable in China.

I am more concerned about the former condition since I am interested in teaching in the rural areas where the pollution is not so bad.

With regard to the presumed history of depression, a newcomer can be very isolated in a rural area or small town, at least initially. It can be a tough experience. Get wined and dined like a celebrity when you first arrive and then avoided like you are contagious. Might want to ask yourself how it would feel if that were to be the case for the first few months, until you had a chance to "prove yourself," form new friendships, get a "China support system" in place.

I wouldn't worry about the need for thyroid medication or periodic basic thyroid testing unless there's something that makes your individual situation tricky. Ongoing medical management of stable hypothyroidism is a pretty straight-forward task. In the U.S. most Family Doctors and/or General Practitioners are comfortable doing it without the need to involve an endocrinologist. The same would be true in China.

I have a master's in TEFL and have been teaching for close to 25 years.

Good qualifications!

Also, bear in mind that most Chinese do not make many distinctions among the various gradations of mental health issues. In the West, in some circles, you might be relatively open about taking anti-depressants, but China is not the West in this regard. Remember, too, that as a new arrival, you'll never be talking in confidence to anyone, no matter what you're told.

Taipei
While Taipei has pretty decent air, I think in the context of this thread at least it shouldn't really be mentioned as a city in China. If OP considered Taiwan for his teaching plans I think he would have mentioned that.

(It can be debated whether Taipei is in China, but my point is that it's not 'in China' the same way as Chengdu and Kunming.)

• New Members

Don't forget to factor the bullet train systems - if you're making a trip three times a year, it's not too too bad if you find a place you like but it doesn't have the facilities you need.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/images/map/railway/high-speed.jpg

They can go as fast as 240km/hr, and from what I've read it costs about 1/2 a yuan per KM, and less on slower trains.