Chinese-Forums

Recommendations of authentic content for a complete beginner?

Pablo42

• New Members

Hi, I'm a beginner Mandarin learner and I'm trying to get as much listening practice as possible. I've found a couple of cartoons that are okay for a complete beginner, namely Peppa Pig (粉紅豬小妹) and Pocoyo (小P优优), but I've already watched all the episodes available on YouTube several times and I'm really feeling the need to get some variety.

Do you know any really easy cartoons or TV shows for complete beginners? I'm looking for authentic content, not anything with explanations or English in it at all.

BTW, I've created this tool for myself to automatically play the videos I found and choose how often I want them played according to how useful I find them. If you like it or find something that can be improved to make it more useful to you let me know:

http://www.mandarinvids.com

Cheers

Pablo

This thread should be remarkably helpful to you: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/47960-chinese-tv-apps/

Every Chinese web TV service I've seen has native kids' content in clear Mandarin, usually with Chinese subtitles. These services rarely have any English speech or subtitles at all, so you really are in at the deep end.

I can't recommend specific cartoons, partly because it comes down to personal taste, partly because I've not tried watching any in a while. Native Chinese content is the best because the Mandarin is authentic and solid; translated stuff can carry weird speech patterns and rhythms, just like when you watch stuff that's been dubbed in English.