Chinese-Forums

When should I apply for my visa?

LiMo

Hi, 

I'm going to Beijing International Chinese College this summer. I'd like to do some travelling after the course but I'm unsure when to apply for my visa. I've never had to deal with something like this before. I've read that the visa is "valid from the date it is issued" and that it is best not to apply too early as it could run out before I get there and then I will be refused entry. Now, the school wants us to confirm our flights and arrangements by the 20th May. As I have yet to decide where I'm travelling afterwards and when, how am I to know when best to get the visa?. Furthermore, the visas have variable durations of stay, the F visa is 30-90 days, that's  more than enough. But what factors dictate the length of stay, if I say I want to travel after is that enough to get it extended beyond the duration of the course?

I'm going to contact the Chinese Visa Application Centre but it's the weekend and I can't wait :)

I'd just like to see what other people think.

The visa is usually valid for entry for 90 days from issue. This is completely separate from the duration of stay.

Not sure exactly by what criteria they decide on the length of duration, but just apply for 90 days, and they'll probably give it to you. If not, you can apply to extend your visa once when you are in China.

>>"As I have yet to decide where I'm travelling afterwards and when, how am I to know when best to get the visa?."

This part doesn't matter. Don't spend time worrying about it. Just write something down on the application and apply for the maximum possible length of stay (90 days.) You can change your after-course travel plans later. The visa authorities don't care.

In summary, to answer the question you pose in the title of the thread, namely "When should I apply for my visa?" -- You should apply for it now.

Apply now, you can apply by post. Otherwise, you can go in person to at least Manchester and London (maybe more locations?).

I guess the only issue they "might" have is that you have different purposes. You want to get an F visa for this study program ... But then you want to try. I guess technically you'd need a tourist L visa for that.

I'd just apply for 90 days F and see what happens.

Your visa is valid for entry for 90 days from the date of issue, indicated by the "enter before" date on the sticker.  This means you must enter the country within 90 days of being issued the visa, before the date listed.

The duration of each stay, indicated by a field on the visa with the same name, refers to the maximum length of time you can remain on each particular entry.

So, apply for you visa now, or as soon as possible; enter China around May 20th; and you will have a length of stay from that point equal to the "duration of stay" on the sticker, typically 30/60/90 days.  You should travel in the time after your program finishes but before you duration of stay expires.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Theres a litte confusion though, I didn't explain clearly enough, the summer camp starts on 6th July, the school just want us to have booked our flights and sent them the information by 20th May, that's what was bothering me. Given that it's over two months till I will actualy enter the country, should I book the flights now and then apply for the visa in a month or so? I think the school said to do it a month in advance or something?

@anonymoose 

I thought you couldn't extend a visa once you were in the country, wouldn't I have to leave and come back for that e.g. go to Hong Kong or something?

#6 --

Given that it's over two months till I will actualy enter the country, should I book the flights now and then apply for the visa in a month or so?

No. Apply now. You are missing something. Take a deep breath.

How many days is from now until you will travel? Is it less than 90? (Answer: Yes.)