Chinese-Forums

Is this sentence correct?

Lou

Hey guys!

I just listened to some podcasts from ChinesePod and heard the following sentence:

说还可以,写很难。

說還可以,寫很難。

They translated it with "Speaking is fine, but writing is difficult."

Okay, I see how they got this translation, no problem. But, I recently learned that if you want an adjective to describe a verb, you need to use a 得 to link the verb and the adjective. So, shouldn't the sentence be:

说得还可以,写得很难.

說得還可以,寫得很難。

Or am I mixing things up? Under which circumstances should you actually use the 得, if it seems to word without it? Or have the guys at ChinesePod just made a mistake?

Thanks for help!

You're correct about 得 linking a verb and an adjective, but first take into consideration what they used to link 写 with 难. "很" is used to link a noun and an adjective, therefore you need to think of 写 as a noun in this context. Here, 写 doesn't mean "to write", but rather "the act of writing" or "the concept of writing". The same goes for 说.

写得很难。- "Very difficult writing." (This combination of characters makes absolutely no sense in Chinese.)

Not a complete sentence, right? No subject.

写很难。- "(The act of) writing is very difficult."

Sounds much better.

I'm having a hard time translating 说还可以. Not sure exactly how to approach "还可以"...

Perhaps it's a set phrase I'm not familiar with. My best guess is "feasible", or maybe "tolerable".

Thanks you all!

Of course, if they are gerunds, the whole thing makes sense. Gerunds are very common in German, how come I didn't think of that? *lol*

还可以 was introduced in the lesson as a set phrase meaning "passable", "not too bad" or "doable"-something along those lines.

Thanks again!

In colloquial language, “还可以” is a very common construction, and it does indeed mean something like "passable".

I think the grammar is OK, but I feel it'd be more common to say something like “说还可以” or “写很难”, as “说” and “写” normally take objects.

A little remark: 得 is linking not a verb to an adjectif, but a verb to an adverb.

Well, 得 links a verb and an adjective, in the process, turning the adjective that follows 得 into a complement.

While 地 links a verb and an adjective, in the process, turning the adjective that precedes 地 into an adverb.

But technical jargon aside, to an English speaker, they serve almost the same purpose on the surface. If I were to translate a 得 phrase and a 地 phrase, they'd both end up functioning to create adverbs when in English. (That is, of course, if the 得 is used in this way, and not in one of it's million other functions.)