Chinese-Forums

NPCR, differences between first and second editions?

Balthazar

Are there any differences in the actual texts and vocab in the first and second editions of the NPCR books? According to this post there aren't:

Regarding the content, 1st and 2nd Edition are the same. Same dialogues, vocabulary, grammar and exercises. But the new edition is more convenient to use. The chapters are clearly separated, colours and better layout elements are used for different content, the paper is better, all the drawings and pictures are new and more modern, you find page and chapter numbers on top of every page, some culture texts were updated. Many small things. It just looks more modern now and not that "crappy" anymore, anyway it's totally "compatible" with the old edition as the content is the same.

This was written at a time when not all of books 1-4 had been released in a second edition (I think), so I thought I'd better ask just to be sure.

I recently made the mistake of buying the first edition of Textbook 4. I could always return it and get it refunded, but I think the shipping alone will cost like 50-70% of the book (Norwegian postage prices are intense). Since I can get the audio for the book from the internet I am not going to bother with returning it if the only real difference is that the second edition looks better.

One moment's carelessness ... Didn't make this mistake with the previous three books, but as this was the only version of the book at Bookdepository with a cover image I mistakenly took it for granted that it was the newest one. Never again :P

Edit: Oh, getting the audio from the internet seems to be harder than I thought (although I was able to find the audio for book 1-3). If the audio for book 4 is not available online I probably have to send the textbook back anyways...

I have both the old and the new. Agree with the differences in quote but also the lessons are in a different order. i did a quick flip through and in NPCR book 1 lesson 10 is not the same as lesson 10 in the old one.

I also think there is more in each lesson with NPCR and there are videos on YouTube, don't think there are any for the old version.

If it was me I would just order the NPCR4 and keep the other one as reminder to double check orders :shock::) (also its probably not worth the postage)

If you would like and can go and find book 4 of each and do a better comparison. Might take a day or so.

Edit:  Just had a quick look, didn't take that long :)

One big difference I can see is the the old version (PCR) is it is divided into book 1 & 2 and book 3&4 so the lesson are not continious so book 1&2 go from lesson 1- 50 and book 3&4 to goes from lesson 1-50 so its hard to compare where you are. First lesson in the NPCR book 3 is lesson 39, but the first lesson in PCR is lesson 1.

NPCR covers 50 lessons in 4 books while PCR covers 50 each in books 1&2 and 3&4.

I also don't think you can compare the lessons, subject matter, vocab and grammar for each lesson are different. I think all the same information is in both books but not in the same order.

I hope I have made myself clear :)

IMHO from what I have seen comparing the 2, I would definitely buy NCPR 4.

• Like 1

Hmm Shelley, I think PCR is NOT the same as NPCR 1st edition.

Typically NPCR 1st edition would not have any distinguishing mark, but on NPCR 2nd edition they wrote "2nd edition", like this:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Practical-Chinese-Reader-Vol/dp/7561934319/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432669750&sr=1-1&keywords=new+practical+chinese+reader+4

• Like 1

There is no content difference between the first and  second editions of the NPCR. I wouldn't bother trying to get a second edition if it's going to cost you money.

Also, as an aside, I think the PCR has way better grammar explanations than the NPCR. If the PCR had some updated stories/words/grammar/topics, and the accompanying videos it'd be a superior product.

• Like 1