Chinese-Forums

Fudan University accommodation - living with a partner.

bientai

Hi,

I am hoping to be admitted to Fudan's graduate level programme. Along that, I also hope to receive Chinese Government Scholarship class A which, among other perks, also offers free housing. I will be coming with a partner (not married yet) and I was wondering does Fudan have any options for couples and how does all that work out with the scholarship?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Greets!

Hey there,

I'm currently a graduate student in Fudan University,

Unfortunately there's no way for you to live in the dorm with a partner whom are not a student here, guests are not even allowed to stay for overnight.

Even if she/he is an enrolled student its not allowed to live in a double room with someone from the opposite sex.

Your best chance is to look for an apartment near the campus.

Go to Zhejiang University instead! Everything is much more liberal here, your partner can live in the dorm. Since you are not married yet, you will have to register with the international students' office.

Unfortunately there's no way for you to live in the dorm with a partner whom are not a student here, guests are not even allowed to stay for overnight.

Even if she/he is an enrolled student its not allowed to live in a double room with someone from the opposite sex.

Kinda hilarious that such an elite university still treats its students like little kids.

Thanks for your replies, guys! I kind of came to a conclusion myself too that couples in a Fudan dorm seems to be a no-no. Suppose I were to get a CSC scholarship and I decided to rent a room in an apartment. How would the scholarship accommodation subsidy work. Could I use this subsidy to partially cover the rent?

Cheers!

@bientai I'm not sure if there is a subsidy, to be honest. I'm in the same situation, my wife and 3 cats will be moving with me  to Shanghai, so obviously staying in the dorms isn't going to work. I'm not sure if students who live outside the dorms get a subsidy, though.

@bientai and 洋人丹

Actually, I think there is an accommodation subsidy (assuming your university permits students to live off-campus.) See here: http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=2070

"Full Scholarship covers...

Accommodation: free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy;

If the host university requires students to live on campus, the university will accommodate scholarship students in university dormitory (usually twin room); if the host university permits students to live off campus, the university will provide monthly/quarterly accommodation subsidy:

undergraduate students/master’s students/general scholars: CNY 700 per month;

doctoral students/senior scholars: CNY 1000 per month."

I can at least confirm that ECNU in Shanghai has told me that I would receive 700 RMB/month if I chose to live off-campus as a language student/general scholar. But, someone can correct me if I have misunderstood something, but this appears to be the general policy. :)

Kinda hilarious that such an elite university still treats its students like little kids.

@Demonic_Duck  Your right, enough said  :wall :wall

@bientai I have some married classmates, they live off-campus, but I never heard that they take any off-campus accommodation subsidy. So this is very unlikely to happen here in Fudan. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Not all universities in Shanghai are like Fudan. I know Fudan is extremely strict with accommodation (I was late for a friend's bday party there one time and arrived after 10pm and they gave me such a hassle, we had to beg them to let me attend). Other universities in Shanghai will allow you to live with a partner in a shared room, although I think things are becoming quite strict where international students are concerned. Thankfully my current uni isn't like that..yet.

• 1 month later...

HI guys.

Anyone has any idea what kind of price should I expect to pay for a room for two people (I would like to come with my missus) in a share apartment in Yangpu district? As far as I understand, Fudan doesn't have anything for couples ... :(

@bientai 

My wife and I have been looking for apartments, it depends what you are looking for.

How close to do you want to be to the uni? We've been looking at anything within a 45 minute bus ride. I would suggest looking in both Yangpu and Hongkou districts, that will broaden your choices.

We've been trying to find something for 3000-3500, most of the apartments in that price range are single room, 40-45 square meters, and really old and rundown. There are many more in higher price ranges that have two or more bedrooms. We've found a few two bedroom apartments that are 70-80 square meters for 5000-6000 a month.

My wife and I are starting to think about renting with someone, because we want a place that isn't too rundown. If you don't mind living with pets (3 cats, all well behaved), send me a message, we can talk in more detail.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go ahead and double post...

My wife and I are moving to Shanghai in the mid of next month and are going to be trying to secure an apartment soon. If anyone else is looking to share an apartment near Fudan, feel free to post in the thread or send me a message.

We are easygoing roommates and the only thing that is really important to us is that someone we room with can at least tolerate living with cats.

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss.