Chinese-Forums

Did anyone use sicas.cn to study in China ?

new_e9

I was wondering if the site is trustworthy, it seems to have lots of verifications from many, many univeristies in China. I don't have the Chance to lose money or get faked, it's already a bit late and I'm really nervous. So my only forum and my only way to verify it, is through your experiences. The site is simply about registering students in universities throughout China and it arranges accommoation for students and the traditional services that any student needs at first.

If anyone can check its business license this would be helpful as well and I appreciate that, I'm too anxious and super depressed. Any info would help.

What do you know about it ?
Have you dealt with it before ?

Thanks

Hello,

searching the forum, it looks like sicas was only mentioned a few times and only by people who browsed their website without actually using the services.

Your can read Roddy's earlier comments here.

But perhaps someone will come later with some actual experience with the sicas services. (up up).

Meanwhile, some forum members have used CUCAS.

Some were pleased, some were not at all pleased, but overall it looks like CUCAS will at least attempt to do the job.

Anyway, if you want a second source of information you can compare the university details on cucas and sicas I guess.

Is there a specific reason you want to use sicas?

Do they advertise a special service that you can't find elsewhere?

What program / university are you interested in? perhaps people can give you pointers about applying directly.

@edelweis Thanks for your reply. I know CUCAS, but SICAS offered me something special. I talked to an agent who works there (SICAS) and I talked to him about Jasmine scholarship. He said if you're going to come through us, we can guarantee you Jasmine scholarship through our relationships. He said that they'll arrange for me to get the scholarship as well as all the arrangements I need upon my arrival to China.

Is there a specific reason you want to use sicas?

- Yes, they claim that they'll guarantee me Jasmine scholarship through their relationships, if they failed they'll return 90% of the amount of money paied to them by me.

Do they advertise a special service that you can't find elsewhere?

- I think the services they offer is like CUCAS, however, I feel the agents really care. I've been talking with them for two days and I asked them about all the details. I once called CUCAS and an agent answered me and she said did you pay the money? I was trying to take their consulation regarding univerisities, but they were so greedy.

What program / university are you interested in? perhaps people can give you pointers about applying directly.

- It's Najing univeristy of aeronautic and astronautics, I applied for a Bachlor of software engineering and management and I got my admission letter as well as the visa paper from the university itself. However, due financial problems I I can't go to China and so I'm looking for a scholarship.

SICAS promised me that they can guarantee me Jasmine scholarship after I sent the agent a photo copy of my passport and my certificates, he said he's sure they can, but if they failed, %90 of money will be refunded, I read this in their terms. Do you think this is possible ? I really don't want to lose money as I'm already stuck with no options after my parents promised me to send me to China and now they said we can't do that financially. He ( the agent of SICAS) said that they're known through many agencies and they have relationships with different government agencies and through there relationship they'll try to grant me the scholarship. I already meet the rules %100 for Jasmine scholarship. I have good grades and I meet all the prerequisites, but of course this is not a guarantee to get the scholarship. What do you think ?

I really, really, feel deprived and anxious, my feeling are down since my parents told me we can't send you to China. I try to do everything to continue my education, please this is my only hope.

When you say they'll refund you 90% of your money - 90% of what? How much are they asking you to pay?

They'll refund 90% of the money which I'm going to pay for their services, if they failed to grant me the scholarship. For example: their arrangement for accommodation in the university, picking me from the airport etc..  

They asked for 6,000 USD

Seems too much to me. I'd recommend you either apply for the scholarship directly (see this NUAA page and this (linked from that page)) or wait a year and apply for the CSC

They could just say 'bad luck, you didn't get the scholarship, here's $5,400." Very easy way to make $600. Arranging accomodation, airport pickup - these are things the university would do, or would be cheap to do yourself. 

Have you contacted the university to explain the situation? They might be able to give you some advice on the scholarship. 

Do the 6000 USD cover everything (tuition + accommodation) or is it only the agent fee?

In any case 6000 USD is an enormous sum to pay in advance.

Even if they refund 90%, you'll still lose 600 USD which is more than most Chinese people earn in a month.

It seriously looks like a scam.

Did you compute the total amount of the tuition + dormitory costs?

How does it compare?

What is the amount of Jasmine scholarship that they promised you?

@roddy I read this topic about the scholarship, it seems fake !!

They could just say 'bad luck, you didn't get the scholarship, here's $5,400." Very easy way to make $600.

Have you contacted the university to explain the situation? They might be able to give you some advice on the scholarship.

It's possible that they can do that, but I could negotiate the amount of money, yea I though so, it's too high, but if they're going to grant me a scholarship this is worth it. There's no certainty here, I'm confused. They may truly grant me the scholarship, however, I read from the topic you sent is that you gov doesn't pay !

@edelweis

They simply said pay 6,000 and we'll guarantee you the Jasmine scholarship through our relationship. I asked them full Jasmine scholarship, the agent said yes. I said how and he said: through our relationships. I said is that legit and he replied yes legal. I really don't know ! Though I talked to him in what'sup, if you want his number I'll give it to you.

So you don't know what the 6000USD are for,

you don't know what the tuition+accommodation cost,

you don't know what the how much money the Jasmine scholarship is or what it covers?

You need to find out.

At least, ask the university about the tuition + accommodation costs.

I don't think the Jasmine scholarship is fake - however I can believe that it's hard to find out information, and that whoever runs it could be very disorganised. And remember the posts on that topic are from a few years ago. 

I don't know what's happening here, but there's a lack of certainty and transparency. Given that the deadline for the scholarship has probably passed, I'd suspect either they just say 'sorry, you didn't get the scholarship', OR they use that relationship and probably pay a percentage of your $6000 to whoever awards the scholarships to make sure you get one. 

A very important point here - there's no guarantee you get a scholarship for next year. 

• Like 1

@edelweis yes I do know all of that, we calculated that very well. My parents now can't send me to China anymore.

6,000 is literally to get granted for the Jasmine scholarship %100 as they claim. See this for full details: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-heq-GxKT8sMnQxdW55RlNQUzg/view?usp=sharing This was sent by their agent. The prices are listed with a paper which I have, there's no need to list here. However, if you're interested, you can find them either in CUCAS or their university website. Though they don't collect tuition on behalf of the university, they only serve as papers processor and students' arrangements services.

What do you think if I negotiated the price with them, which price would be suitable and reasonable ? They asked me if I could visit their office in China or send them someone on my behalf. I think if I dealt with them face-to-face this would be much better ?

@roddy

I don't think the Jasmine scholarship is fake - however I can believe that it's hard to find out information, and that whoever runs it could be very disorganised. And remember the posts on that topic are from a few years ago.

I hope this changed now, but I don't want to stuck there. For example, study some years and then they don't pay my tuition. This would be a life wasting process. I hope this is not going to happen.

I don't know what's happening here, but there's a lack of certainty and transparency. Given that the deadline for the scholarship has probably passed, I'd suspect either they just say 'sorry, you didn't get the scholarship', OR they use that relationship and probably pay a percentage of your $6000 to whoever awards the scholarships to make sure you get one

This is possible too. What can I do :(  ?

Thank you for the document. I especially liked the "6 years 24 hours parents-style care" and "100 usd as late fee / day" and "before the date wrote above" except that there is no date that I can see.

I'm sorry I have no answer for you. It just all looks very odd.

This is a prototype of the agreement. It's subject to alternation and the agent told me if there's anything on the agreement inform me. I'm not going to sign this already, because it has some mistakes on it, as you can see I highlighted the name of the program with yellow in the document to indicate this is wrong, not (bachelor of software engineering and technology), it's (bachelor of software engineering and management).

Today I went to the Chinese embassy in my country and told them the entire story, the representative of the embassy said "you have to be careful !" I also contacted the university directly and they confirmed that they have not assigned them (SICAS) to represent the university, that's what the admission office told me. So far I can say this is harmful, nevertheless, you never know unless you try. But here and with all my hectic financial problems, I can say the last thing I need is a bastard hustlers jumping at my yard. Dammit ! 

• Like 1

@英泰inte Thanks for your help, the admission office of the university recommended me to apply to Nanjing government scholarship too. But the scholarship is too low, it doesn't cover %30 of the total yearly costs. from the site you sent to me:

Benefits

This scholarship does not cover tuition, living costs or accommodation; it only provides a monthly stipend. Master and PhD candidates will be granted 20,000 RMB/year, Undergraduates 10,000 RBM/year, one-year students 5,000 RMB/year, one-semester students 2500 RMB/semester.

Anyone knows more about Najing government scholarship, I searched the net, there isn't much to say...