Chinese-Forums

Short term hobby "camps"?

edelweis

I don't even know the English word for this.

In French it's called "stage" like "stage de guitare classique". Note that the same word can apply to internships, however the context generally makes it clear whether it's actually a hobby-centered vacation or not.

Around April-May in any French music conservatory or music school, you can find fliers about summer music camps whether for adults or children. In public libraries and museums there are fliers about (Latin/Arabic/Asian) calligraphy, creative writing or whatever (painting, sculpting etc).

Usually for adults it's a 1-week vacation in a rural area, with classes and workshops during at least half of the day (or the full day) everyday. But there are sometimes some part-time or evening "camps" in the cities for people who are stuck at work while the kids are on vacation with the spouse or whatever.

Does China have such short time hobby classes/camps?

For instance for calligraphy/seal carving/music/...

What search terms can I use to find them online?

I think Hong Kong has a similar concept, and they call them "camp" too. (Though it's never pluralized and is used as a loanword in Chinese.) I haven't looked into it very detailed though, and I wouldn't know how to find them. Most of the ones I've personally heard about are sort of religious (Christianity, Buddhism, etc) in nature, but I think hobby camps should exist too, especially if it's about outdoor activities. One week is very long for Hong Kong though, mostly it's one day or a couple of days, and they generally are only around holiday times.

Sorry this might not really help you though. I am interested to see if the mainland has things like this as well.

• Like 1