Chinese-Forums

Xiamen acommodation hunting question

Kambili

So I found out recently that I've been granted a scholarship and I'll be off to Xiamen for two years. The question I have has to do with acommodation rental. Basically, I'm planning to live outside of the campus since I would really like my own room, and I'm wondering how much in advance before the start of the academic year should I book my plane ticket to make sure there will be available some reasonably priced place not too far from Xiangan campus, before they're taken by other students? A week in advance? Two? Or maybe that is never an issue in Xiamen at all and they have plenty any time of the year? 

Any advice from people in the know would be really welcome :)

I guess you already checked to see if the University has single rooms or not?

I know that a few Universities have special dorms for foreign students but others just use normal form style rooms.

Worth checking out of you haven't.

Absolutely. Apparently the laowai dorms on the campus I'll be allocated to only have double rooms. I read in the past some students were lucky enough to get such a room only for themselves, but I all the people I bothered replied me that this year there are many students so it won't be possible. It's a bit of a pity because apparently the dorms are regarded as one of the nicest in China, and free for scholarship students. And looking for accomodation can be pain in the ass. It's just that the introvert in me really needs to be in my own bubble sometimes...:)

Could you just take a room (as its free) so you've got somewhere all sorted when you arrive. Once you've settled in the Uni and area (two weeks or so) then start looking for your own place. If you find one, then great, tell the Uni your moving out of the room and go live alone. However, if you can't find a room then you're not homeless.

• Like 1

For some reason I thought there would be some negative consequences if I decided to move out of the dorms whenever I wish (breaking the contract). But as I understand this is not the case. I'm definitely going to do that then :)

Eponym:Sent you a pm ...

Kambili:... But as I understand this is not the case. I'm definitely going to do that then

Care to share the insightful information? :(

The insighful information I had in mind is that I didn't suppose you can move out of the dorms whenever you feel like it, and once you commit to moving in there you will have to stay at least for that semester. But judging from your own advice this isn't the case :)